• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best size rod, reel and line for Ontario

What is the best rod, reel and line weight for fishing for walleye, smallies, and pike? Should I use a seperate rod for the pike? I'm looking to buy a new spinning outfit so any advise will help. I'm just a Colorado flyfisherman that wants to catch some different species this summer. I will be fishing in northwest Ontario in mid August. Thanks

Most fishermen up there use heavier outfits than I do--but I primarily use a 6' St. Croix ultra light or light action rod with a Shimano 1000 ultralight reel and 6' test line. With this I catch bass up to 5 lbs with no problem and though I rarely fish walleye, I have got them to 26" with no problem. Because I fish ultralight, I do have to go to a separate rod if I want to fish pike or musky. I never intentionally fish for pike because I just don't find pike under 30 inches to be much fun, but when I fish musky or throw a big lure I obviously go to a bigger outfit, like a St. Croix 7' medium or heavy action rod with a shimano 4000 reel. But my primary focus is ultralight tackle for smallmouth, an absolute blast. Fishing in mid-August though, you might have to fish deeper than I do in June, and that's a consideration. But I will repeat that from I observe, many, if not most, fishermen up there use heavier tackle than I do, but I think you'll catch more fish and have more fun with the lighter outfit.

An ultralight is probably not the best option...Fun? sure it is for a while but day in and day out a medium light or medium rod will probably be your best bet for the walleyes and bass and a medium heavy rod for the pike. An ultra light doesn't give you much hook setting power or control over the fish, not to mention the lure weight limitations you are putting on yourself. Small jigs, sure it would work but are you going to be able to pull cranks, bottom bouncers, etc? I don't think so. If I were to take one rod it would be a 6'-6 1/2' Medium action spinning rod. If I were to take two it would be a 6'-6 1/2' medium light spinning rod and a medium heavy baitcaster.

One rod? 6'6" to 7'. Medium light or Medium weight. 8 to 10 pound test. This will cover throwing minnow baits (Rapala Husky jerk-baits), Lindy rigging, and jigging with live bait. Pair it up with a Shimano 2500 or your choice and you are all set. Of course if you are traveling from Colorado to Ontario, you might want to consider bringing more than 1 rod. Heaven forbid one would break, but it is a strong possibility. You might not have a store within reach. Just food for thought. Personally, I would bring at least two of the aforementioned setups. Get some Power Pro and tie up some flouro leaders.

Thanks for the replys, I was thinking about getting a 6'6" medium st. Croix with 8 or 10 lb line. I'm also planning on taking a few extra cheaper rods that I already have for back up. Again, thanks for the advice, I knew this was the place to get it.