• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I go to school in Eau Claire and I have seen a few boats fishing the Chip near campus. I was just wondering where the nearest boat landing was and how many hazards are in the river that I could ruin my outboard on. Would I be better off fishing upstream or downstream from campus?

Welcome aboard! First off, just so you don't get any crazy ideas, there are NO muskies in the Chippewa R!! grinwink!!

The landing you'll want to use is on the north side of the river right on the bend where Water St turns in Menomonie St. Right near Hobbs ice rink. Pretty easy to get up to the hole where Little Niagara runs in. Gets tricky going up further to either where the Eau Claire R meets or below the rapids at the city shops. Go slow and have a spotter up front til you figure it out.

Going downstream is a bit easier. If you have a small boat and 4wheel drive you can put in underneath where I-94 crosses, north side of the river also.

Shore fishing is always an option, but you usually do better in a boat.

Hope this helps, fire away with any more questions.

Ah, I remember my UW-EC days!!

Dude - what neighborhood? I'm on Fountain just east of 3rd if you're familiar - I can see the shops through the trees in wintertime. Grab a rod, couple lures, small(or big!) cooler of beer, walk out my front door and be fishing in 10 minutes.

Wanted to hop the rocks from the old train trussle up to the dam on my side of the river but they had a gate over there open most of the year - think they were doing repairs on the other end.

Did fish the shops Sat but only managad a couple little shovelnose sturgeon. Walleyes should pick up with some warmer weather.

Did land a 55" lake sturgeon for a guy about 3 weeks ago there. Gonna try catfishing there this summer also. Later.

Went out again last night, water was down probably about 2 feet compared to Wed. Caught some little guys again, slower than Wed though. First bite broke me off on the hookset - very well could have been a musky, might have helped explain the decrease in bites.

I wanted to say thanks for the information. I didn't find much action in the downtown EC area but when I went down river a bit I did find some feeding redhorse. And thanks for the tip on the RC. Didn't get a chance to stop by this past weekend, but do try to whenever I head over that way. Great river. Actually, both the Chip and the RC are great rivers, makes going to the inlaws that much easier!!

By Caryville on Co H or at Durand, depending on how far you want to go. The Gazetteer shows several landings between Caryville and Durand but to my knowledge you have to carry your boat/canoe to the water - not far at all but nothing where you can back a trailer in that I'm aware off.

Go with the 12' jon - the river for the most part is fairly wide and shallow. There are plenty of deep holes to fish but you'll run into pretty skinny water in between.

You planning on fishing it yet this year?

Fishing report from saturday is sloooow. We put in at County H and took out at Meridean boat launch. Had to come upriver from the confluence. Slough channels upstream were nearly nonexistent. A few smallies and couple pike. No muskies sighted. There's some good river around there though.

Where is Hobbs Ice Arena?

-Minner