• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

turkey season 2009

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Timmy...this is AW on your account...HaHa, I am going to cause permanent damage on you're account cry

Kidding...I am logging out and now I won't be able to log in because I had a temporary password mad

May first the birds spawned of the devil will perish. Not by me though, I actually dont enjoy hunting them much. Tank will be tipping a few over though im sure...

AW - just log out and get a new "temporary" password...

Timmy... or is AW signed in??? anyway, both you had about 4 too many switchbacks!!! lol..

and yes may 1st till the end of the month for the gobblers.. our season is sooooo late here, when i lived in Wa state it was april 15... now that was nice... we hunted in a snow squall from time to time up there!! Miriam's and Rio's in the same day with a hybrid or two strutting around.. even seen my one and only white hen out there... very cool.

Tim, here are a few pics from this morning 7:45am for the turkey hunters these birds were about 60yds off the road they were scattered all over the field.There were a total of 10 Toms and about 15 to 20 hens

toddspics139.jpg

toddspics140.jpg

THIS SUCKS!!!!

I have to work the opening weekend of the Season..... my life officially sucks!!! Please leave me one or two dumb old birds would ya all !!!

BTW... I've been seeing a TON of birds around this year.... every where... and still a few big flocks around up to 20 birds still.... but more 6 to 8 birds together now...

and lets see some years past pictures on here of a good bird or two with the story!!

Where to start, here I go. Vinny and I roosted several tom's on Friday night and we decided to set up in between them and let them hear us and fight over who's going to get to us first. Well it worked out great and the bird to the East of us came in on a string strutting the whole time through the woods, he was 20 yards out and I gave Vinny the green light and he let the 3" Winchester sing but the bird did read the script and just ran away. I had him sitting between me and even though he's gotten 2 other birds he got turkey thunder fever, the barrel was dancing up and down and he shot low. I looked at him and he looked at me with both of us smiling, I told him this isn't catch and release, he said what's next. I said sit back and relax for about 30 minutes and we will work the other bird, 30 minutes later I said it time and pulled out my crow call and on the third call the second bird shock gobbled about 300 yard to our left in a field. I said lets get as close to the corner he's in and see if he wants to play, well he loved what I was saying to him and he was coming hard but with no decoys out and the woods open he got kind of nervous and was circling us wide but within 40 yards (my gun will put 30 pellets in the kill zone at 60 yards) and I said I'm going to get him to stretch his neck and you smoke him. Vinny had to kind of lean forward to his left and let the Remington roar but with the awkward angle (inexperience) he shot right over the bird and it flipped us the finger and flew away. I consider both hunts a success and so did Vinny, he never got down and said lets go try another. Well you guys know me and I've been scouting a LOT of birds and decided on a spot that I usually bow hunt for turkeys. The spot is small but always willing bird and after sneaking to the only open meadow (with thick brush around it)I gave some calls and a thunder gobble ripped my hat off about 60 yards away. I told Vinny to get the gun up in that direction and as soon as you see him and it's a tom you smoke him, That bird was there 6 seconds later and smoked him at 45 yards (he gets the longest shot of the day and messed up the easy one but the pattern is best at 40 yards). Sorry for the book, here are some pics.

100_0223.jpg

100_0224.jpg

Well I guess I know the answer to my cell question to you. Fantastic book Lee. That top picture is a classic. Make sure you get a big blow up of that one. You couldn't ask for better weather either! You're a great Dad!

Lee - you work really hard at it, congrats...

Jimmi Fish - Heres my favorite spring bird story and pict. Tanks drinking his morning coffee and reading the paper on the back portch and a bird keeps gobbling 2-300 yards out back every few minutes. Tank reads the sports, then goes to the bathroom, comes back out and reads another section wile the birds still at it. So he says to himself if he finishes the paper and the bird keeps gobbling he'll give it a try. Another gobble so he throws some camo on, grabs a gun and decoy, and sets up about 60 yards behind the house. A few yelps on the call and the bird responds. A few more yelps and here comes the bird running and struttin. At 30 yards he hammered him, 20 lbs and a 9 inch beard...

dsc00665b.jpg

I have a slew of Long Beards singing and dancing out in the back 150. Went out last night with the Nikon Timmy glasses and a Crow call. Saw a few Big Boys go up in my Hemlocks and whine before the sun went down. This new property should be a "No Brainer" for me this year. I am going to try and get my first Archery bird this season. The DXT should have no problems with that. Unless the limbs explode...give me a break Lee crazy