• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog food info

Say I've got a hunting and fishing cat--she hangs over the side of the boat and catches sunnies. I find that she fishes better when I don't feed her anything that morning.

What do you guys think I should feed her to make her into my grouse hunting partner? I live in town and don't want a dog keeping the whole block awake, so a cat'll have to do.

Just having some fun grin.gif Carry on.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what my vet tells me, a lot of dogs have trouble with dogfoods high in cornmeal. Besides the high poop output they can have higher incidence of hotpsots or other allergic reactions. Many of the cheaper dogfoods have cornmeal as the first or second ingrediant. I won't touch them until it's at least the fourth ingrediant.

That weeds out a lot of the cheap and expensive dog foods out there including Science Diet.

Good Luck!

I have the honor of spending $38.00 per 20lb bag of prescription IVD Duck and Potato formula from my vet. My yellow has inflammatory bowel disease and can't eat much else without getting a sick stomach. Seems like duck protein is working pretty well...along with a nice dent in the wallet

MT...please post your post on the Upland Cat/Feline Forum. This is for dogs only here. (between you and me I'd feed the cat some grouse intestines to peak her interest in grouse) By the way, good news, I think their is need for a moderator in the Feline Forum, you're in the running!!!

so you reckon thats better than Iams then?
I was feeding mine Canidae, but it just got way too expensive, and I didn't notice much difference in the turd distribution, or anything else. is the max. nutriotion the same stuff petes talking about?
thanks

I think the premium and max nutrition brands are the same But I don't know. I have had really good luck with the max nutrition lamb and rice puppy food. I feed it to all my GWP regardless of age mostly due to high protien content 28% and 16%fat. But the best part of it is $11.00 for 20 lbs and my hounds eat 2-3 cups a day and do great

Checked out max nutrition today at waldo world.
Always thought Iams was probably their best brand they sold, looks like Max nut. has em beet from what I can tell from ingredients.
Max has no fillers or by products, Iams does.
But what is this corn Gluten meal?
I think I remember someone saying that corn meal is not good, just a filler, Is the corn Gluten the same thing?

Also noticed Max contains more protein than Iams, which I'm sure my Labs need.
I got the lamb and rice, but the chicken andrice formula for active dogs has even more so I reckon I'll feed them that over the summer and hunting season while they Are more active.

thanks for the heads up on the food.

[This message has been edited by Dano2 (edited 03-11-2004).]

Dano,
Yes corn gluten meal is a corn product and it is used to cheaply boost a dog foods protien levels. Most dog foods contain this, and it is the main ingredient in the "cheaper" brands. your better foods will list it as the second or third ingredient. Gluten is the protien part of a corn kernel and contains very little fiber or carbohydrates, but the protien is not redily used by dogs either.

Cn is a tricky ingredient. It can be "flexed" down the ingredient list by fragmenting it into; corn, corn gluten, corn gluten meal, corn meal, etc, etc, etc. If the word corn appears more than once in the ingredient list, I can promise you it is probably the dominant ingreient in the food. The nutritive value in corn is not easily processed by dogs. It adds protien and fat to the food, but your dog won't get much use of it. your lawn will, however,,,,,, wink.gif

[This message has been edited by irvingdog (edited 03-12-2004).]

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but there is a new premium quality dog food made here in MN, called Nutrisource that my puppy is doing really well on. The breeder fed Iams and I started out with this but my pup would [PoorWordUsage] 5 or 6 times a day and in the evenings the stools would be almost diarrhea like. Since I have switched he only goes 3-4 times a day and the last two nights he hasn't woken me up in the middle of the night to go out. He is only 11 weeks old and prior to switching he was going out 3-4 times a night. It is cheaper than Eukanuba and ProPlan, but about the same price as Iams. I haven't had the opportunity yet to try their other types, but as soon as he's grown, we will be switching to the High Performance. They have a HSOforum under Nutrisourcedogfood.

Something else to consider, just because chicken, lamb, or whatever type of meat is listed first doesn't mean it's quality. What I mean is that ligaments, beaks, intestines, etc. are protein but not always easily digested by dogs. The hard part is trying to find out what parts of the animals the dog food companies are using.

------------------
Erik

I have had great results with Nutrisource. One of my Labs has some health problems and I have always had a difficult time keeping weight on her in spite of some high test food. She has done better on Nutrisource than other premium foods. Find a food that is available where and when you need it and provides the performance your dog needs.

What I found to work best for my 95 lbs. Yellow lab is National. http://www.nationaldogfood.com
They have different Protein and Fat levels up to 34%-20%. I could feed him less, and in turn picked up substantially less. Problem is the dealer that delivered to me doesn't deliver to where I live now so I've been forced to go back to Iams. If anyone knows where I can get National again I'd appreciate hearing.

I second the National plan, its really great dog food, rock hard stools and my dogs really did great on it. I am in the same boat, I can't find it anywhere. I used to order it from dog food direct dot com, but they stopped carrying it. I would love to be able to get my dogs on it this summer so they are ready for the fall grind.

I ALSO USE NATIONAL FOR MY 75LB CHESSY. GREAT FOOD AT A DESCENT PRICE. I BUY MINE AT THE RAMSEY FEED STORE OR THE CORNER STORE IN BACKUS.

[This message has been edited by HEDHUNTER (edited 03-31-2004).]

Hey Hedhunter, That Ramsey feed store wouldn't be in Ramsey would it? Seeing you live up north I doubt it. Just thinking that maybe I could get lucky, I sure would like to get my dogs back on the stuff.....If I can find it I know I will make someone some money. About three of the guys I run dogs with used to feed National now we can't find it anywhere, I think between the 4 of us we were going through a pallet a month.

As my wife and I were out checking out wood duck houses, we came to the conclusion that there should be dogfood called 'Deer [PoorWordUsage]'. Or at least one that advertised as deer [PoorWordUsage] flavored. My labs were either eating it or rolling in it. My 18 week pup is already the worst I've ever seen, every chance she gets shes over on her back giving something the shoulder roll!

SETTER GUY . YES IT IS THE ONE IN RAMSEY, MY DELIVERY DRIVER PICKS IT UP FOR ME WHEN I NEED IT. I CALLED NAT'L & SAID THEY SHOULD GET SOME OF THESE SPORTING GOOD STORES TO SELL IT. THEY SAID THEY ARE WORKING ON IT.

I've had excellent results from Sprout Ultra Lamb and Rice sold at Fleet Farm. Corn does not appear on the ingredient list. Prior to tht I fed Natures Recipe Lamb and Rice.

P.S. The ingredient list may or may not match up with the dog food inside the bag. Many manufactures change ingredient 3-6 times a year. Legally they are not required to change the ingredient list until the old bags already printed have been used up.

Hey Headhunter, Ramsey my be an option for me. Where in ramsey is it? What's the actual name of the place? I looked up Ramsey Feed Store on QWESTDEX and didn't come up with anything.

My buddy found the place for me, it is located right on 10 just west of Armstrong Blvd in the big red barn. He said they have all the different kinds of National, even the power pack! I can't wait, I'm going up today.