• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pope and Young Video Camera Rule

Prior Laker

I sometimes hunt with a small video camera mounted on a bracket on my bow. It's great to capture video of the deer and other animals you see from the stand. I know others who do the same and they usually get much better footage than those who attach their camera to a bracket that is not on their bow. We hunt QDM so we get to video a lot of bucks that we let walk. The down side is the Pope & Young rule that you can not have any electronics on your bow.

Having a video camera in place of your stabilizer certainly adds challenge and by no means makes the hunt easier. To get used to the extra weight I had to make a lead-filled, wood-block camera simulator for practicing. It's not good to subject the camera to the shock just for practice but they can handle it for the few times a year that you shoot at deer.

This will become a larger issue since there are now several bow mount video cameras.
What are your thoughts on the need for this rule change?

They should just change everything to " taken legally by bow and arrow in accordance with/to state or providence rule and regulation ".

Did they ever drop that rediculous 65% letoff rule? I like the way BTR scores theirs. BTR gives credit for what it has which is a more truer way total antler amount, unlike P&Y which penalizes it for not being symetrical, basically you could have a 11pt monster that scores lower then a equally sized 10pt just because you didn't have a matching tine even though it's obvious the 11pt has more antler volume. That's just my opinion, so if I ever get a qualifying buck it's going the BTR route.

I have shot 4 that would make the "books" I am satisfied with scoring it with a friend and just knowing. The more people that know where you shot it the more presure your bound to see as well.
just my thought.

The only way I will put one in the book is if it is once in a lifetime deer 170's or something rediculous like that.

I saw a 14 pointer last year by one of my stands that is no joke pushing 175 or 180. i know i would put him in the books but i wouldnt want to submit a 140 or lower because you will get more hunting pressure.

I don't care where you hunt, there are "Book" bucks in your area!
You just can't hunt them when they are moving, and that is after the sun sets!
They are there, just go spotting after sunset and you will be surprized for sure!

Half2fish did you get the email?

I agree, they are everywhere. but thats why their called "bookers" They don't get that way from letting everyone see them much less shoot them.

My property is on the boarder of 250arces of private land owned by a company Thats fenced in and the last 3 years I have seen deer that are just AMAZING!!
but I never see them in the stand and can't get a stand close enough to where they are. Just a great challege!
They are out there. I guess thats what keeps bringing us back right!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS WEEKEND

[This message has been edited by mudman (edited 10-15-2004).]