• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shoot or wait?

czl99

I was hunting last night on the edge of a corn field and some woods. It was getting really close to the end of shooting hours and i could just barley see my sights when a big doe and two other smaller does came out of the corn field. The big doe came out of the corn and walked along the corn right at me so I pulled back to get ready for a shoot. The doe had its head down but some how caught my movement or herd me pulling back and ran about 10 yards backward and stopped and kept on eating like nothing ever happened. It was now about 25-30 yeards away and brodside to me. It was hard to see the doe becasue the grass was about 2 1/2 feet tall and getting really dark. I didn't shoot because I wasnt comfortable enough to shoot when it was hard to see my sights and i didnt want to just hurt it. Did i make the right decison to not shot or should I have just shoot and hope that it is a really good shot.

------------------
Fishing isn't everything it's the only thing.

Nice call on letting her walk. Obviously she didn't spook too bad, so you'll probably see her again. Its always tempting to take that shot, but its really low percentage and even if you hit the deer, you probably won't have a good idea where you hit it, or where it ran (to start looking for blood). Wait them out, you'll get your daylight shot and be all grin.gif

Good call, no shot opp. if you can't see your sights and it's hard to pick a spot to hit when you have only a silhouette to shoot at. Plus, If you don't happen to see where she is hit, how long will you wait before tracking?

Most people won't take that shot.

Very good choice.

I only take a shot if it's 20 yards or closer. To me, the most imprtant thing is making sure it's a good clean kill shot.

I know how hard it is letting a deer walk, but you have to feel good about your decision because it was the right thing to do.

Ole

Same thing hppend to me last year. The only difference was i was rifle hunting in a stand i made. it was all inclosed. I stood up for about 15-20 seconds sat down looked into the feild and into the woods. About 15 yrds out was a very nice 8 pointer staring at me. He kept on the trail. He was so close i had to stand up to see him out the window but couldnt shoot because i was too short to get the gun at that kind of angle. I just about cryed. The day before i got a 8 point and i am sure that the two bucks were the ones i saw a month before season. The one that got away is going to be bigger now to i am glade i didnt take a risky shot.

Great call and I commend you on your efforts. Had you come back to us and said that you had a shot on a nice doe, but you never found it because of a bad shot, I would have been very disappointed.

You'll have a good opporunity at another time this year, the season is just beginning.