• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What a night!!!!!

sheepheadslayer

Well i finally got out on last friday for a evening hunt. It was pretty exciting to say the least. I was going to set up on the edge of a small woods that has corn around it about 3/4 of the way then a crp field on the north side. While i was going in i seen a doe and a fawn feeding on the edge of the woods and crp field. I got in steath mode and did the sneak. Well it went pretty slow for about an hour. She would put her head down i would take a step. Was going well til she decided to start heading away from me. She got out of site around some trees that stick out so i went pretty quickly up there. There she was 60 yards out. I snuck up along the edge of the corn on my hands and knees. went 10 yard and look she was at 50 and i had another 10 yards of corn to sneak alon side of so i thought this was goin great. Well it took a little bit of a side step. On my hands and knees i moved real slow and heard something right in front of me. The weeds were about head high of you were on your knees so i slowly looked in front of me and there it was at less than 10' a beutiful black and white skunk with his tail high in the air. I have never moved so quickly and nor did the deer that where less than 40 yds away. What a deal but i am glad that i don't smell any worse today than i usually do. Now that is the weirdest thing taht has happened to me.

Had a close call myself this spring while turkey hunting. I am walking along the edge of the field in the dark pre-dawn when a skunk comes out of the brush about 15 ft in front of me. I just stopped and let him pass! Ain't gonna try and pet THAT kitty!!

I'm a little confused, you were actually putting a stalk on a doe that had a fawn with her. What did you want the milk or something, or were you going after the fawn, either way people like you should get sprayed by the skunk.

First off who are you to judge what a person is doing. I for one have every right to take anything from a spotted fawn to a giant buck. I have hunted 5 years with a bow and passed on every doe that i have seen. This year i can buy a managment tag to fill. I was going to fill it with a nice doe, that had a fawn that was big enough to live on its own. Am i sure that it can live on its own, no but what are the odds of seeing a doe this time of year with out a fawn. You are telling me that you have never shot anything that might have a fawn with it. How do you know what is behind that doe. It is people like you that can ruin a memorable experiance. Control the herd with proper buck managment that will get you real far. Next time you eat that chunk of beef or that chicken breast make sure you feel sorry for the little ones it left behind. Get a life you MACHO man you. You are an *****!!!!!

Well put sheephead! Sounds like you had a fun hunt and then some &*(#@ comes along and tries to muck it up. Bet he won't respond back as to why he thinks that does with fawns shouldn't be shot. Fawns this time of year will survive just fine without mom, by now they're eating the same browse that the doe is eating.

[This message has been edited by BLACKJACK (edited 09-29-2004).]

Sheepshead, good story, no problem with what you were doing. Don't let it get to you. I still think the skunk scent would have been good cover though...We should set up a doe adoption center to take care of any orphaned fawns, along with therapy for them. I love deer as much as anyone and I sometimes have a soft spot in my heart for them especially the little ones, but they are deer not people.

Tombow, with my success on deer busting my scent this year you may see me rolling in a road killed skunk by your local roadway. Please swerve out of my way if you see me in the act. Last tuesday I showered with scent free soap, put on freshly no scent washed clothes, sprayed scent blocker, stepped in some deer [PoorWordUsage] on my way in and was busted by the first doe that stopped by. Bring on the skunk!!! I'll post my results...I see a million dollar idea, skunk impregnated hunting clothes...

You guys are cracking me up. I totally agree on the shooting does thing. It's fine if some hunter says he won't shoot a doe that he thinks has fawns, but there's nothing wrong with those of us who will.

I see an awful lot 1 1/2 year old deer that aren't traveling with momma & I see plenty that do, so I'm pretty sure most of them would be to, if it were an option, but when it isn't they do just fine.

I'd also go so far as to say the fawns that don't look like they'd survive on their own, have a poor chance of surviving winter anyway.

To each his own I guess, sorry for stating my opinion on my personal hunting ethics. Yes, I have shot does before, but I can say that I have never shot one with a fawn that was visually present. Nor would I consider it. Thank you all for doing your part in deer management. Your in luck sheapsheadslayer next year I heard they are giving out fawn permits for you herd management hunters. Just playing around with you may your fall hunts be filled with antlers.

I have never shot a fawn before but that is the shooters choice and opinion. I appreciate the support from you fellow hunters and kind of like someone to disagree with me once in awile so i can get a little steam out. I am glad that Thore has so much support on this subject that i may change my way of thinking. From now on i will only focus on the doe and i will only shoot when the fawn is behind a tree or in the brush or out of my scope. hehehe Just so you know Thore there is already tags out for shooting fawns it is the shooters choice to use it that way. *****

Let's remember to keep having fun here. I'm sure we agree with more things than we disagree with, let's remember that. After all, we all love bow hunting. I know it can be irritating for all parties when someone disagrees with your thoughts on certain matters. Let's keep it fun and help each other out.

Ill tell all of you my opinion. I am not after a trophy buck, if it happens that i get one all the more fun but all of the wild game I harvest is a true trophy. I hunt for the meat. If i can shoot 3 doe's and 1 buck i am going to try to take the advantage. If we didnt have the herd to do this then the DNR wouldnt give out the permits. hunting is something that saves A LOT of money in the future. My family doesnt have the money to be able to eat a lobster tail or T-bone whenever we want to so we substute it with game. That goes for fish too. But I will tell you what if i see a doe with a fawn that will be able to make it. sorry little one. What about all of the does that get killed on the side of the road that has a fawn with them. If they make it GREAT but if not they dont go to waste either. This is my 2 cents and let everyone get the true trophy they are after this year, weither id be a fat doe or a 10pt. buck.

Yep, to each his own, make your own decision on which deer to shoot, there's a million or so and about 200,000 get shot each year, don't think there's a shortage.

Alrighty then fellahs and or ladies, we are gonna need a name for the skunk scent impregnated clothes. Gotta get the marketing started, thisun's gonna be HOOGE!
I'll give 'er a try, how's about Tail-Lift Covercloth or maybe just "Schweeww!" "the deer won't smell you and you won't have to worry about other hunters settin' up too close to where you're sittin'!" It'll come with a special camo nose-plug and patented glasses that will keep you're eyes from tearing up.....'cause it's just such a perfect cover system!!!! Boo'ful, Man!

No skunks in my story, but .....

A couple years ago, in northern Minnesota on the bow opener, I had a big doe come in with what I thought was a smaller doe. I shot the big doe. When I recovered her I saw she still had a milk sack, which surprised me as I did not expect the smaller deer to be her fawn from that year.

Later, out of curiousity, I called the DNR area office and talked to the deer biologist. He said not to worry about shooting the doe - by that time of year fawns are self-sufficient. Makes sense to me.

i dont think there is anything wrong with shooting a fawn. i personally can shoot 5 deer. (not sure about the rest of you) a big fawn doesnt have much less meat on it than a nice doe. a big fawn can weigh 90 lbs. and a nice doe will weigh about 125 lbs at least where i hunt, everywhere is different. thats only 35 lbs different. think about bone mass, the much larger gut the doe has on it, and most likely a heavier coat of fur. i personally wont shoot a fawn, although they are the best eating, im not a horn hunter so a doe is right up my alley fawns or not!!

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh