• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for the lady's.............

NCLaker, no need to be bashful about the womens forum. this is a good informative site, especially when it comes to fishin. huntin, well thats something different, no offense gals, my opinion. besides the gals do know what they are talkin about. best thing is its way more laid back, not as how do you say it, opinionated and defenssive as some of the other sites. oh by the way you may need to deal with a bit of abuse once in a while. crazylaughlaughwink

Thanks Glen, as for the abuse part ... my wife was raised to dishout brutal honesty (in a constructive & fun sort of way of course wink ) Took a little getting use to but after I got over it, abuse can be fun in a sick kinda way. Get togethers with her family can be a pretty steady diet of giving/receiving abuse ... but it is all good/fun. Sorry if this took the original post off topic.

Brian - good luck with the new business. Hope it creates LOTS of new jobs! smile

I'm not offended by your question. I admire anyone who attempts to start a business...it's tough. I know first hand!! Asking questions like this is a great way to do your research.

I also look online before I buy for myself (it's always all about me. haha). However; if it's one of those I need someting new to make me feel better after a bad day kind of buy, I just stop at the local shops. I can typically read right through the salesperson by asking quesitons that I know the answer to. I then determine if they really know what they are talking about - if they do, then I start asking the questions I need to ask. If not, I either go find somone else or pick up the phone to call someone who will likely know the answer.

Best of luck with the business venture!

Brian H,

No offense taken...had to laff, even. Married 30 years (and counting) to a man that knew to put the toilet seat down...and he grew up w/ 2 brothers and his Dad...his Mom did a great job w/ him! No sox and undies on the floor either!

Just a bit of advice, take it or leave it - when you get your business up and running, have someone else write your ad copy.

Best of luck. Small business owner myself. Not for sissies but you're the boss! (Not always a GOOD thing!)

LET IT SNOW

Brian,

The ladies who frequent FM are probably pretty knowledgeable, but there are many other ladies that aren't.....that sounds like what you were trying to get at. Where do they go to get info, advice? Legitimate question for sure. The internet would be # 1, and friends advice # 2 would be the top 2 probably in my mind.

You wanting to cater more to the up and coming lady customers?

I have noticed a trend toward more of the ladies traditional colors and styles.

My wife got me my first depth finder....what did she go by? I think it was price more than anything else. Wanted to get me something I wanted and not break the bank.(I have a great wife)

My son and his wife are my fishing buddies a lot....she bought me a HOTPINK lure for Christmas (we have a running joke about "pink" in my boat)ha. She also got her husband (my son) a spinner . She asked me what I thought about it....I told her I wouldn't pick it, but that wasn't important....DO THE FISH LIKE IT? I asked her to keep the pink lure in her box for me wink....and I can't get it back!!!! she kills the fish with it grin The spinner???? my son has caught fish 3 conecutive casts with it cry. Some ladies pick out different stuff than us guys, but that isn't always a bad thing :whistle .Maybe a couple tables for coffee in the corner to TALK? centerpiece on the table? donuts for the guys?lots of ways to go .Good luck on the venture.

I'm biting now too. I'm feeling bad for Brian. I think you asked a good question, and a few have given some insightful answers. I think others may have snapped back in response to the thread of growing misperceptions. Brian and men like him are intelligent enough to ask the help and advise of a women. We as women, certainly should encourage open and even is sometimes clumsy, dialog between the diparate genders. We are united here by our passion for fishing.

Brian, when I need to seek advise about something I have little experience with, I seek out an expert, regardless of gender to chat with. Some women are more comfortable than others asking advice of a man for fear of seeming uninformed. We are fighting hard for respect in a man's world, as men are in a women's world.

I wonder how the response would have gone if a woman asked the same question in a men's forum? I bet, much differently.

I need a new starter in my Pontiac? Can anyone give me some advice? I know nothing about starters. (hope I didn't offend anyone)

Thanks ULT....good advise. I tried hitting it with a hammer...and then a bigger hammer...but that didn't make the car start. I jumped the puppy and it started, and stupid me, instead of driving it right to the shop, I turned it off to see if it would start again, and of course...click click click...nothing. Not too proud to say what a blonde moment I had there (sorry lisa).

Teresa...Are you sure that it's the starter? Seems to me that boosting it wouldn't matter if the starter was shot. Sounds like a battery issue to me.

I'll second the comment about disconnecting the battery first when replacing the starter....ZAP...ouch!

Theresa,

I agree ....battery, most likely. I am not a mechanic, but I,ve been "around the block" enough to make mistakes like that cry Check CONNECTIONS at the battery FIRST. Go to the automotive forum for EXPERT info.

Appreciated your "levelheaded " advice....

yes i would definetly check connections first, especially if its a GM vehicle. been there more than once. mix baking soda with water to clean connections but make sure you rinse/clean off baking soda good.

Quote:
I need a new starter in my Pontiac? Can anyone give me some advice? I know nothing about starters. (hope I didn't offend anyone)

No, you didn't. But then, you didn't phrase your question in such a way as to insinuate that the people you were directing your question were poor resources.

If Brian is trying to get a business off the ground, I hope he accepts my criticism as constructive. You have to be very careful about how you phrase things when dealing with customers and in business, every person you talk to is a potential customer. I hope my advice is good.

Bob

I've been in and out of retail for much of my life (and in people jobs of one type or another ALL my adult life), and in my experience, typical Midwestern customers are not nearly as eager to take offense as a few people have been in this thread.

Best of luck, Brian. smilesmile

Its just one more case of men assuming women no nothing about the outdoors or sports.

It was more the topic then how the question was phased.

Are some of us defensive, yea - probably, but we have reason to be.

What really should be said is that women use the same means to get information on gear as men do. There is no difference that I can see. This forum is intended to give and share information freely. Any questions, please click the contact us button at the bottom of the forum.