• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for the lady's.............

When it comes time to buy outdoor gear for your boyfriends,husbands or even yourselves what do you do? Is there a store you seek advice from? Do you trust neighbors and friends for advice?

Women are becoming a larger portion of the outdoor gear consuming public. I'm just curious where you get your information from when going to make a purchase about something you have no experience with.

Quote:
I'm just curious where you get your information from when going to make a purchase about something you have no experience with.

You want an honest response after a statement like that? Good luck with that!

I think you're being a little presumptuous to think these ladies have no experience. From what I've read on this site, I'd say they are as experienced as any man on this site, maybe more so.

Bob

I'll bite. I didn't know a lot about plasma cutters, but I got one for my hubby for Christmas. He couldn't tell me a lot about them, either. I went online first, and looked at a few sites to compare prices, then I went to a local store where I knew the guy who sold the cutter to me. If he couldn't answer my question, he called another guy over who could.

I use that process whenever I buy tools, whether for hubby or myself. I usually research ahead of time so I know what I'm talking about, and I know what to look for. It shouldn't matter your gender when you are about to make a purchase of tools, outdoor equipment, vehicles, or whatever.

I suppose I should tell you I sold canoes kayaks and all the accessories for five years paid and the rest of the years were spent absorbing sixty years of knowledge of bwca, fishing, biology, canoeing and kayaking from my grandfather. Along with my grandmother showing me how to run a business, my cousin showing me how to drill out aluminum, and my uncle teaching me all the hands on stuff. How to refinish kevlar canoes, taking off and putting on gunnals, riveting, sanding, and then recoating and putting on skid plates. Put on all the amenities for fishing out of a kayak on, my family taught me years of knowledge before I was a teenager.

Maybe some people should think before they type.

But there are others who were not brought up like that and I'm positive that ANYONE who's trying to survive in this economy is doing all the proper research before ANY purchase.

It wasn't a question to put anybody down. It was a simple question about where you get your information.To be followed by the question of what kinds of literature would help you in your decisions? Followed by the statement that I was gathering information because I was opening an business and I wanted to be sure that I didn't exclude women from feeling comfortable shopping there.

What type of business are you are you opening? That would make a difference on how and where I gather research.

The biggest thing is to not talk down to anyone. People will go where they are made to feel good about their purchase, and where they feel their questions are answered honestly.

I'll bite too...duh.

I've been fishing since I was 6 - that's 43 years ago. I know what I want in a fishing rod and reel. Hubby knows better than to pick one for me HE likes. Same with shotguns...I know what I want. Trucks and snowmobiles - same thing.

If I need info, I head to the internet first on a fact-finding mission. When I know what I want, I try to shop locally (Int'l Falls or Gateway Store on Kabetogama or Jim's on Ash River) but if I can't get things there, I like Gander Mountain for my fishing and hunting gear.

I totally agree about the not talking down to people - plus I hate when a business trashes someone else's product. Your product should be able to stand on it's own merit without cutting down the competition.

LET IT SNOW

When it comes time to buy outdoor gear for your boyfriends,husbands or even yourselves what do you do? Is there a store you seek advice from? Do you trust neighbors and friends for advice?

Women are becoming a larger portion of the outdoor gear consuming public. I'm just curious where you get your information from when going to make a purchase about something you have no experience with.

You first need to learn how to express yourself. You've just insulted most of the women on this forum and gave credence to some men who don't deserve it.

Don't ASSUME men know about outdoor gear and women don't.

To answer your question - I ask my girlfriends -

Ladies and men,

Geez -- Give the guy a break! I don't think his intent was to insult anyone. I think(hope) he was trying to ask -- if you were in the market to buy something and you needed more information about that item before making a decision to purchase, where would you look for that information?

I myself would use the internet, ask friends/family/coworkers, stop by a store or stores that sold the paticular item and try to find someone knowledgeable about it. Then, I might start over again with the internet because now that I know more about an item I'll probably have more questions.

Good Luck with your potential business.

Vickie

I hope the fact that some here jumped you, slit your throat and left ya bleeding won't deter you. People need to think a little harder before posting, not everyone is out to demean or insult you, it was a simple question. To answer yours, my wife is frequently buying me gifts for the outdoors(she hasn't got a clue on any of it), she will usually refer to the other sportsman in the family first, sons, brotherinlaws, research on the internet, then talk with the local dealers that sell it. Pretty much has to go through the learning curve on each product unless I give a specific model#. Just gotta admire a woman who will do that for ya. Good luck with your new business! Any more questions, don't be afraid to ask.

caseynewberg, Congratulates, Lucky Man...

Thank you and I didn't mean to jump down anyones throat or slit it...?.... by anymeans I just am totally sick of men always thinking they know more they do more they can make more. It gets a lil old, and around here you get it so much it's ridicules. Sorry buddy didn't mean to shake you up a bit, that's just me!

My wife has bought me a lot of cool outdoor gifts over the years. She loves the outdoors but was not brought up with a vast pool of knowledge. When she has questions she first looks at the internet, then with a basic knowledge of product she will talk to local sportsmen to get opiniions. She has also used gander mountain for a source of information but we both agree that shopping local is important so we try to buy local if we (she) can. It really depends on the product and there are a couple of very good sports shops locally who she trusts. I also do my searching similarly but the local shops that are good and knowledgable will get a look from me first. Good luck.

P.s. easy ladies us guys may be slow but we all just got the word.

I tend to be pretty picky about what I use - my wife & 4 daughters (or anyone else for that matter), would have a hard time figuring out what to buy me when it comes to fishing stuff. So I recommend they get me gift cards for local sportsman stores. Not very original, but works great for me, and easy on them. Only problem is that when redeeming it, I always spend twice as much as the face value of the gift card eek.

BTW Don't usually hit the women's forum. Saw this post come up on the recent posts list, not realizing it was in this forum. After reading this thread I now find posting here kinda scary. eek

BTW Don't usually hit the women's forum. Saw this post come up on the recent posts list, not realizing it was in this forum. After reading this thread I now find posting here kinda scary. eek

Scary? Why? We don't bite. I am very picky about my fishing and outdoor gear, prefer to buy my own, but wouldn't turn down any fishing gear given as a gift.

Whew!! This post did get a little scary! People are entitled to their opinions and let's keep things civil. Men have always been welcome here.

Brian H., good luck on your new business! It'll take some super hard work but will be totally worth it.

When I buy new gear I usually use word of mouth. You get 1st hand experiences and that's the best advice anyway.

I did not take this as a slam or as talking down to us outdoors women. I recently bought a H20C, I have absolutely no experience with a GPS. I asked other people who had them, used the internet for information. Same thing when I bought my flasher, never had used one before. I am sure there are men out there who have had to make purchases for their wives/girlfriends and not had any experience with the products. Don't beat the guy up for just one statement, we may be outdoors women, but there are a lot of women who aren't and would like to get into it.

NCLaker, no need to be bashful about the womens forum. this is a good informative site, especially when it comes to fishin. huntin, well thats something different, no offense gals, my opinion. besides the gals do know what they are talkin about. best thing is its way more laid back, not as how do you say it, opinionated and defenssive as some of the other sites. oh by the way you may need to deal with a bit of abuse once in a while. crazylaughlaughwink