• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First Wheel House Construction (Advice Please?)

Fuzzbient

How tall should the house be inside?

With the rubber roof, was it pretty easy to install? I saw your pics, wondering what the process is...looks like you had it up right away (wondering how that connects to the siding, etc.).

How did you connect the house to the frame? Did you bolt it to the trailer?

Hi DuckBlind! I'd make it as low as possible to still get your door in place and have a few inches of headroom for the tallest occupant.

The rubber roof was easy and only required one man to do it. I overlapped the siding and then screwed the metal trim over the overlap and siding, then added a bit of exterior caulk over that.

Along with self tapping screws from the wall through the frame, I also put bolts through the wall bottom plate all the way through the frame. I think I put about 8 of these in. They were 3/8 bolts with large washers.

Hope this helps and good luck!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! Did you just go w/ a flat roof? Wondering what to do...really dont want to peak the roof, if anything just have it set at an angle.

Also, did you use hole covers? Thinking about going w/ the nice round ones...wondering how they work out...?...I haven't seen how they look under the house and how that is sealed so water doesnt sneak in around the edges from underneath...any advice?

Thanks again! Great pics! Great house!!!

Yeah, flat roof works fine for those rubber roofs. That's what I wanted for a low profile while on the highway.

I installed the round catch covers. I got the sleeves too so it will seal from the wind. They look like they'll work out just great.

Did you do the spray foam yourself of hire it out? I have been getting quotes on High Density Spray Foaming the Floor, walls, and ceiling of my 8'x16' wheelhouse and the bids are ridiculous. Anyone have any suggestions for reasonable spray foaming? Thanks!

Did you do the spray foam yourself of hire it out? I have been getting quotes on High Density Spray Foaming the Floor, walls, and ceiling of my 8'x16' wheelhouse and the bids are ridiculous. Anyone have any suggestions for reasonable spray foaming? Thanks!

I spray foamed it myself. I just did spray foam on the walls and used sheets on the ceiling and under the floor. You can order kits online or purchase them locally.

I used Tiger Foam but have been told that Froth Pak is good as well. The kits are fairly cheap.

Where did you get the windows from? Also where did you get the gas lamps from? Looks great by the way.

wyattboche - I ordered the gas lamp from Fish House Supply and got the windows and the door from one of those big box stores. They're just cheap shed windows but work great so far.

I'm sure loving this new shack. Very comfortable to fish in, fairly light and easy to move with the ATV, and lets me sleep out on the lake and fish all night long.