• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

lack of buck movement

mudman

Hey fellas!
went out last night to a spot I have in the south suburbs and got the same results as where I went up north.
Lots and Lots of does and fawns eating acorns from 1hr before dark on.
a few little forks and six's but that was it.
I think the big brutes are a little nocturnal right now due to the heat. Once again this weekend they are talking low to mid 70's for temps. first night that the temp drops below 40 I think will be good and start to get the bigger bucks out a little earlier as they know they need to start feeding heavier.
Any one else have an opinion or thought on this ?

I see that same thing every year. Very early scouting will produce the bigger bucks in the fields before sundown. Later in August most of the larger bucks will become more and more nocturnal to the open fields. As you witnessed you see does, fanws and spiked/forked bucks only.
If you want to increase your chances at a bigger buck before the rut begins, you will need to move deepper into the woods/brush and ambush them between their bedding and feeding areas. Hunting the edges might work on very cloudy gray days.
That's been my experience.
Good luck!

I am currently as deep as it gets in both locations. I know that they are bedding in the swamp and using the oak ridges with all the acorns, before they go to the fields. The two locations (Swamp & ridge) are maybe 100yds apart. I am in the ridge looking over the swamp I can see them coming out at night and going in during the morning, It is possible that they just aren't using the same bedding area but close by. That is all the property has, Can't get to anywhere else. I'm Just impatient still since it's so early and I am just JACKED UP!!! for hunting!
Thanks

[This message has been edited by mudman (edited 09-22-2004).]

I saw 5 bucks last night on stand, on the edge of a small secluded alfalfa field. All were 25 yards or less, all but one were within 15. At least 3 of the bucks were yearlings (1 1/2 years old). I saw one small yearling doe with a fawn. The 3 smaller bucks, as well as the doe & fawn started into the field about 6:05 & left about 6:50. The 4th & 5th bucks were at about 7:15 & 7:30 respectively.

The first one was a velvet cover spike, very small, not a button buck though, late fawn from last year.

The second one was a tall narrow 6 pointer.

The third was a shorter, slightly wider 8 pointer, smaller deer than the 6.

The fourth was a nice 8, not huge, but big enough he got an arrow through him...

The fifth was I think just a spike, but a nice deer. I think he was 2 1/2, he had a big body & the spikes must have been around 12" long, they went mostly up, but curved a bit, kind of heart shaped.

Oh yeah, 14" inside spread, longest tine right about 6". Haven't weighed him yet, 140 on up I'd guess.

WOW! that's great! I'm not trying to knock you but..............
Just think next year he might have made the books. 10 maybe 12 pointer with 18" spread and 10" tines? In My Opinion a doe would have made a much better meal. and you would still have a tag left for a wall hanger! like I said before though, that is just my opinion. to each there own.
I have seen at least 8-10 different bucks so far but nothing over the 125 class. I was just curious how many of us have seen larger 125+ bucks so far.

[This message has been edited by mudman (edited 09-22-2004).]

Pic just got posted on the any reports thread. I hear what you're saying mudman & that buck was right at the bottom range of shooter for me. I haven't shot a buck with the bow either of the previous two seasons, partly my fault, mostly do to being small & passing on them, lots of them. I had decided before season if one like that came I was going to shoot him. I actually have more trouble finding does on that property, over half the deer I see are bucks & generally small ones. I plan on shooting a few does yet this year.