• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HD Nightster or Yamaha V Star

vanhea20

I currently ride a Suzuki Savage and am thinkig about upgrading this spring. I've narrowed my search down to a Nightster 1200 or a V Star 950. I like the way that both bikes look and feel but I can't make up my mind. If you had a choice which would you buy? Any comments would be great.

HD resale is going to be way better when it's time to move up. Plus it's the real thing not a clone.

Careful Halfnutz, you'll get slammed by the Harley envy crowd eek

Guys dont want to hear thier bike is a clone (even when deep down they know it is)

I agree though if its a cruiser you want there are two groups, H.D and then everything else. just my 2 cents but I have owned all kinds over the years. Ive never met a guy that was sorry he bought the H.D over others, cant say that about the other brands,especially

when the time comes they want to sell and upgrade--(and what do they usually upgrade to whistle) All that really matters is what you like. but your asking others opinions so mine is the H.d is way nicer to look at, sounds cooler, and an added bonus is if your a young single guy the little hotties will be real excited for you to "take me for a ride on your Harley" wink usually dont hear "take me for a ride on your Yamaha v-star" crazy All said if you do get the H.D just dont become one of the jerk-baits that thinks that makes you better than the rest like some badge of honor, they are all just different brands, being on two wheels with the wind in your face is what its really all about.

Hee hee I ride a Honda cause at my age there ain't gonna be no upgrading. I've been riding for almost 50 years and had lots of em. Not saying HD is the best or ever was. Don't even try to convince me cause I know better. But if was gonna buy a cruiser I too would get a HD. Only because it is the real deal and it does have the best resale and sooner or later they all go up for sale.

Rideing a honda... 50 years in the saddle .Hmmmmmm let me guess your on one of those couch wings??? do they come with sat. tv now? I know a couple guys with those and man they are real comfy looking. everything but the kitchen sink. the thing I really get a kick out of is the damm things beep, beep, like a truck when they put em in reverse to back up crazy

As for they all go up for sale, I hope your wrong, I have an evo heritage that I hope to die owning and then one of my boys can enjoy it. I have sold quite a few rides and have regretted selling every one. I decided im no longer selling and just going to upgrade and add to the fleet grin

Harley= real thing. Define real thing please.

Does that mean original? I will give it that.

Does that make all cars copy cats of fords? They were the first. This is the reasoning harley owners use to grasp that they have an inferior product.

Harley= twice the price, half the performance.

I had my heart set on a fat boy, man what a nice looking bike, but man what a turd. No power, no handling, no nothing. Now that v-rod has a little more go juice, but what a price tag. Almost all hd owners buy a harley for the image, that's it. Trust me I know a lot of them. (more than I can count on all of my appendages)

Oh, not envious one bit just a bit smarter.......

As for the two bikes mentioned above, I have ridden a sportster, it is a couple of years ago now, and it was a horrible riding thing. It had good power, but road bad and was not that comfortable.

I have ridden a v-star 1300 (brother in laws bike) and it is twice the bike. Rides much better, about the same power and handled superbly. Now that HD was a few years older, so they may have changed some stuff, not sure.

Go ride them both and decide for yourself.

I think your confused, nobody ever said they were a performance machine. who are you talking to? and did anyone ask you if they were for performance? A cruiser is just that a slow ,cool looking, cruise the strip, shiny bike. If you want a go fast, burn the corners type bike you are looking for a different bike. Ive had a few of those too and a Harley doesnt come close to it in what it was made for. just like it doesnt come close to an HD in what it was made for "cruising". That said I dont know or want to bother looking up the specs but I bet the nightster he's comparing the yami too has more scoot to it or its too close to tell a seat of the pants difference...but when it comes to the "cool" factor the H.d blows it away, everyone knows that.

You seem to have all the knowledge, you said your smarter, can you please tell me what you ride and how long you've been riding? Maybe a few tales of the bikes you've owned over the years with the different characteristics of them? maybe a specific detail of how the yami cruiser you rode handled so much better compared to the other and how many miles you put on it?? How about the trips you've taken or the times you went down? C'mon man a guy like you must have a lot of experience and knowledge to share with the rest of us. smells like another "keyboard commando" to me.

I'll bite, I only have been riding for 13 years (since I was 18). First bike 1977 kz 900. cheap, and ran, all I can say about it. Second bike was a katana 750 it was suped up fast as fast can be, to me anyways. Thought it handle great, now I know better. Next I had an R-6 now that is a machine! power and nimble, too nimble, low sided it twice in one week. Same side, only had to replace the plastic once. Second time was enough for me. Sold to a friend that raced it up at BIR. Decided sport bikes are not for me. Put on too many miles to be that uncomfortable. Great for a short (one to two hours) rides, no good for the all dayers. Current bike is a Warrior. Since I've had it I put on between 2-7k a year, mostly commuting, just plain riding back and forth to work. Best fit for me that I have ridden. Lots of power, handles superbly for a cruiser. I have ridden to many different bikes to remember,(yes at least 7 harleys that I can think of off the top of my head) and some that I would love to try. (never been on a Goldwing, or the v-rod, and now that new v-max is pretty impressive, also would like to ride a rune, triple 3, and that new honda with the huge raked out front) About that honda, Probably wouldn't like it, just want to try it. One bike that does stick out in my head is the Victory (vegas) I rode, that was a fun bike. Not quite the handling machine, pushed a little in the corners, but it had lots of power, and it felt good underneath me. Little to expensive, but I may look into them when it is time to replace the warrior.

I never stated that I was an expert, not even close. The guy just wanted some opinions, and he got mine. I never under stood buying something just for the looks, or the persona that goes with a certain bike. It should be a balance of everything involved. Lots, not all, of the people who buy a harley are just buying it for the name.

Good enough, probably not, but that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Hey Van... right now Harley is selling Sporties with the offer that they will give you full price when you go to trade it off someday for another Harley. Maybe someone already said that, but just wanted you to know that. I do not know all the details about it, but I'm sure it's on the Harley HSOforum.

And I just gotta throw my .02 cents in on the "Harley or not" thing. I have a Fatboy (my second Harley... first one was a softail standard). 40,000 miles between the 2 bikes, and no problems. The reason they are so loved is for their classic look, sound, and feel. Harley has established a look and sound that everone else has tried to. Figure in what you lose in resale for a couple jap bikes, and you could've just bought a Harley.

That R.U.B. thing was good too. I've never heard that before. That's a pretty serious steriotype. I've found that the Harley people just enjoy spending time with others that enjoy their hobby. I've met people from all walks of life while riding my harley... including people that ride other types of bikes, and work every kind of job. I have to admit though, my wardrobe is made up of mostly harley stuff.

We are starting to stray from the original question here, but I do have a question of the resale thing. I don't understand it. I have never purchaced something and thought, man when I am ready to sell it........ I buy something to get my use out of it. I guess if you are going to resell stuff every couple of years, maybe. I buy stuff to last. Machines (cars, trucks, scooters, atvs, sleds) are not investments (exception antiques).

Its like saying, I am not going to ride it because I will put to many miles on it, which will bring down resale. Buy what you like.

On a more personal note, Iron, I think you owe me an apology. I have never been lambasted like that for my opinion (politic forum aside) on anything. I have never had to explain myself over what car/truck/atv/boat/motor/electronics/etc/etc that I enjoy or choose to use.

Im going to try to get back on topic here. there are a few things to consider such as which bike really "feels like you" you will get the feeling when your cruising around a corner and you and the bike seem to glide rather than turn. i mean if it fits you and you like the look/color/paintjob/or customization of either one of the two then make the difference. really its just being those select group of guys to say, i got enough guts to be out on the road on two wheels even if they let people from iowa have driver licences(my little pun) anyways if you have the money and HD fits you like a glove then take it. but i mean customization isnt about making a bike look like a harly its making a bike that you love and want to be seen riding.

This debate has has gone on as long as the Ford vs. Chevy. vs. Dodge debate.

Try to imagine each of the bikes you are loking at have no logos, or markings of any kind. No brand name to let any one else know what you are riding.

Then choose the bike that really feels the best for the way you are going to use it.

Good Luck, and Ride Safe.

This is the reasoning harley owners use to grasp that they have an inferior product.

Harley= twice the price, half the performance.

I had my heart set on a fat boy, man what a nice looking bike, but man what a turd.

Almost all hd owners buy a harley for the image, that it.

Oh, not envious one bit just a bit smarter.......

I have ridden a v-star 1300 (brother in laws bike) and it is twice the bike.

OK I'm sorry....sorry you bought a Yami and feel so insecure in it compared to H.D (originall post) that you have to rip the harleys. Arent those your statements above?? If you dont want to be "lambasted" dont run your mouth with such ignorance. You will never find any words of mine ripping any riders for thier personal choice in the bike they ride, I was stating my opinion on the differences but if you notice I also say its only that and dont get too hung up on what others think, helll I dont give a damm what you ride its your's, like in my first post I said two wheels and wind in your face is what its really all about.then you reply with the garbage above. I never made blanket statements calling all yami's japcrap or "a turd" or that they sound like a lawnmower missing on one cylinder. I never said thing's like you know who buys jap bikes, guys that cant afford the real ones... you know the oldest ones in the book..sort of like the statements you made that are usually the reply to those, Have heard it a thousand times and really shouldnt even bother with the reply since guys like you argue over and over and never feel good enough about your ride.. (if you did you wouldnt say the things you said above). then when you just cant get over it you go out and buy the H.D and get all the shirts you can. those guys dont get it either but now thay have one so all is good. ...please, thats your rube. thats not me or the bro's I care to know.

As for the argument on whats the better purchase go to the yami dealer and once you get around all the atv and jetskis to the bikes ask them if they will give you a guarantee of the same price you paid in two years for a trade in?? wonder what they will say? Man if I'm looking for a smaller bike that sportster deal is a no-brainer. Wonder why the other bike companys dont offer that? maybe because two years later you wouldnt get half the price you paid.

I dont buy my bikes to sell but have done so for one reason or another a few times and have allways sold my Harleys for close to what I bought them for a few years before. Maybe you dont value your money but I have to work hard for mine so I will allways make sure I save as much as I can on deals like this. and some guys like a newer ride every couple years, who can blame them? if I had the money I would too.

I'm not going to waste any more of my time with the juvenile "mines better (cause thats what I have) thing.

I think you need to apologize and admit the originall blanket statement rips you made about all harley bikes and guys that ride them is ignorant and just not so.

I don't feel one bit insecure about my bike, I don't care who made it that is the one I would buy. I love it. Only one of those statements was a blanket statement. The others were comparisons or opinions on a certain model, or contain the word almost so on and so on. I thought I was pretty careful about using ALL or EVERY in any of my statements. Most, a lot, many, I tried to use those. As for the attitude, that is what I see when I am out and about, you even said it yourself about the badge of honor thing, I see to much of that. I totally agree it is not about what make you buy, it is about putting miles on. You buy a harley, great, I have never been impressed with anyone I have ever ridden.

This thread is taking off in two different directions. the original and our (you and I, Iron) personal one. Lets get back to the topic at hand have you ridden both the sportster and a v-star? I already gave my 2 cents on both bikes on an individual basis.

This debate has has gone on as long as the Ford vs. Chevy. vs. Dodge debate.

Try to imagine each of the bikes you are loking at have no logos, or markings of any kind. No brand name to let any one else know what you are riding.

Then choose the bike that really feels the best for the way you are going to use it.

Good Luck, and Ride Safe.

BINGO!

Not going to apologize huh, allright then. I have ridden sportsters and thay are a riot, just not made for the bigger guys like me. As for the v-star havent rode one of those cause I was too afraid someone I know might see me on it...there you go..thats your style right?

Nothing to apologize for. Or I could do it sarcastically like you did. Doesn't matter. Well it is pretty tough to argue with a guy that has ridden both. You just lost a lot of credibility saying you would never ride one though. Hey, least I gave the sporty a shot. Again only MY opinion on these two bikes.

Nothing to apologize for.

Or I could do it sarcastically like you did.

You just lost a lot of credibility saying you would never ride one though.

What the helll are you talking about?

Nothing to apologize for , read your first post or the quotes of my post with your words.

Apologize sarcastially like you did?.... where did I do that?

saying you'd never ride one... where did I say that?

Man your bipolar or something, No facts behind your rants, like I thought from the start with you.. another "keyboard commando".. Rant on and on about [PoorWordUsage]t on the internet because nobody in the real world will listen to you or give you any attention. I'm done being the sucker that does.

As for the facts, there are none, this is about opinion.

I am done.

To the original poster, sorry I was acting like my wee-wee is bigger than yours. I quit.

On the bikes, the sporty felt like riding a little bike with a lot of power. That is the best I can describe it. It didn't feel very stable? I think that is the right word.

The v-star felt like a bigger bike (could be for all I know) more stable, better balanced? That is the best way I can describe it, but the power felt different, I think is was due to the feel of the bike. I felt more in control on the v-star. If resale is very important to you, you have to buy the harley, that can't be argued. They do hold there value. If the name is important, buy the Harley, because it is a harley. That's it from this guy.

Thanks for all the input. I have sat on both bikes a few times now and decided on the nightster. It just fits me better and doesn't feel as bulky as the V Star. Now it is just a matter of getting the OK from the wife to go buy it. smirk

Good choice! does that get the trade-in guarantee like the sportster? Doesnt really matter as it would probably be close anyhow just curious. As far as the wife goes, Remember the old saying, it's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. So just ride it home one day without a word and see what she says whistlegringrin

Oh and sorry for hijacking your thread with the other d-bag. but get ready..thats the kind of [PoorWordUsage] you have to listen to from the guys that ride japanese bikes that dont get it. I have friends and family that ride honda's, bmw's etc and we talk bikes and check each others rides out all the time. Its fun and we like the different aspects of all bikes, then again we are secure in who we are and realize we ride what we want for our own reasons and dont rip each other's ride.... I think that nightster looks really cool man, go for it you wont regret it. I was joking about the forgiveness thing though, definetly get clearance from the boss cause no matter how cool the bike is you cant sleep and live on it if she gives you the boot eek