• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat fishing near Kansas City

I will be down in Kansas City this summer for a week. I would like to get out and do some cat fishing while I am there. Is there anyone in here that fishes for cats in this area, that wouldnt mind giving me a few pointers, and tips, places to try shore fishing, bait, ect...

I fish cats in Minnesota often in the summer here, is it much different there? Big hook, big weight, live or cut bait, brush piles, or deep holes, creek inlets?

I spent a good chunk of my teen years in Leavenworth, just North of KC. I did a lot of catin on the Missouri. Look for the exposed wing dams that go the farthest out into the river. Google Earth would be a quick way to find them. If there is a creek that flows in by the wing dam even better. For flats and blues I liked creek chubs(have to catch your own), but cut bait and worms work alright for channels in the slack water(flats move in there at night). Using worms will catch you all kinds of things just like any other river system, so if you just want cats leave them at home. It might be different now but if you want to fish with anything bigger than a minnow you might have to it catch yourself. If you fish the current be prepared to lose a lot of gear. Heavy sinkers(8oz. or bigger) help, but you will eventually end up in the rocks and have to wait fo a fish to pick it up. I always loved fishing the MO. Hope to get back there one day. Huge cats and you can have a whole strecth of river to yourself most days!

eyeballs, I'm heading down there in a couple weeks and can't wait to try to catch some Blues. Hopefully tag into 1 or 2 quality fish.

From what I hear, the river is big and swift.

I think we will be in the Waverly area.

Waverly, eh?

You get in touch with Jimmy 'Doc' Yowell at all? They come up and fish the Cat's Incredible every year and do pretty darn well. He runs a tournament in MO, you can find it at Waverly Cats dot you know what.

4wandering-Where will you be in Kansas City? There are some great places around town. The Platte River around Platte City has some great cat fishing spots and if you want to fish the Missouri there is a good spot near Independence.