• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any reports?

bmc

my daughter was out last night with black powder.( sun) she had to watch another buck walk past her. she has used her buck tag and only had an anterless tag left.she said he was a basket 8. now it is back to bow hunting for her. i'll probably start this weekend. rut is beginning. del

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went Friday night in the rain & again last night, on the same stand. I don't have many good spots for SE wind. The place that's been the best for me for that wind the last couple of years, seems to have no deer now, not sure why.

I saw a doe and two fawns late in the rain on Friday about 50 yards out. I had a 3-4" spike come trotting in the 10-15 yard range last night. I've already shot a buck & he's too small anyway, so I'm waiting for a doe. I'm having the same problem as some other guys mentioned, with seeing almost all bucks. That's the 9th shot I've passed up on small bucks alone this year.

Hunted No.Central WI this weekend. Can't say I'm lovin' the fact that it's been a windy season. Anyway, saw a few, including a spike chasing a couple of does but no bigguns. Can't believe how many times I got busted. I had scent out and they would come in looking over the area pretty well. I'm thinking I should have bagged the scent and let nature take it's course. Best of Luck.

Congrats JoshM, now you know what us other bowhunters are always talking about. It's a blast to shoot them with the gun, but it's nothing like shooting them with the bow. Firearms hunting, which still isn't easy, seems so easy after shooting deer with the bow.

Here's a pic of my deer from last night. It's a 8ptr that probably dressed about 170-180 lbs. I called him in with a Primos can call. It was a 20 yard, slightly quartering towards me shot. Upon the autopsy, it looked like the arrow took out one lung, the liver, and the stomach. This deer still went about 250-300 yards before it bedded down and died! I haven't shot a deer since Nov. 2004, so I'm pretty darn ecstatic. A huge thanks to my friend Scott, if it weren't for him we may not have found it. The overnight rain washed away the blood trail. From where we last saw blood last night, the deer was about 150 yards beyond that. We just started walking deer trails through the tamarck swamp and there he was.

Dscf0286.jpg">

Brian

Oooooops, bigbucks, my bad. LOL I meant to say the last one I shot was in Nov. 2000 in Iowa. But really, I got this time machine and can travel........LOL!

Brian

Well I saw the first signs of prerut buck movement in my area last night. Watched two small bucks walk under the stand around 5:45 and as I watched the 2nd one walk out of sight I saw a large buck run him off and start my way. After a few minutes of watching him get closer and my heart pound faster he started to angle away. I grunted him back in and around 6:15 he gave me a slam dunk 18 yard broadside shot, but as I came to full draw my heart sank as I saw no pins through the peep. I have lighted pins but a stray drop of water dripping from the tree from the earlier rains had plugged my peep sight---I let back my draw and sucked out the water but he never gave me another shot. I am thinking it was around a 150 inch deer that would have dressed around 230 -250. I have 3 more days I can bowhunt before the slughunters come through the property so hopefully I will see him again........but I am not going to get my hopes up.

good luck

jeff

I can't believe all you bowhunter's are putting away the stick and string and digging out the rifle. This week is usually my "hunt whenever you can" week. During this week before rifle season, I'm in the tree, regardless of how much time I have to sit. All it takes is 5 minutes and you could be drawing back on a deer. Don't give up yet guys!

I've still got a management doe tag to fill, hopefully this week!

Brian

these last 2 mornings have been slow. granted I only get to hunt for a couple hours but no movement at all to speak of, a few does yesterday but other than that very slow,

I just keep telling myself it only take 5 min for things to change!

bmc & mudman, I'm with you, sometime on stand everyday this week. I'm leaving right now, to catch the last hour-45 minutes in a fenceline tree I haven't hunted this year. They are moving now, maybe not real predictably, but you just never know. I've never shot a deer sitting in my house, although I'm still holding out hope... I have shot a deer a couple times when heading to stand with an hour or less to go, including one time only 15-20 minutes into my sit.