• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any reports?

bmc

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully I did this right. Not a monster, but I'm happy with him. 4th of 5 bucks in range last night. He was lot bigger than the others. 14" inside spread, longest tine 6", haven't weighed him yet, estimated 2 1/2 year-old.

47b4d703b3127cceb74360086a2e0000001610

I probably need to explain what happened in this photo. I loaded my trail cam with an old roll of film from my drawer. When I got the film developed I had several double exposed prints. I mistakenly had used the same roll of film twice. I was not in the photo when this deer walked by but he is truly a shooter. Makes for good humor!

mdeiley, you're right that made for a pretty cool picture.

I weighed my buck last night at the registration place. I couldn't believe it, he weighed 185, which is not a giant by any means, but a lot bigger than I was thinking it was. There were 4 witnesses, so I wasn't reading the scale wrong. I'm leading the big buck contest too, of course it was the only deer registered there so far... I was kind of surprised no one had registered a doe yet.

hey nice deer big bucks. I can only hope to let an arrow fly this weekend. Congrats. If I get any more good trail pics i will post them on the trail cam link. Good luck hunting to all and may your freezers be full, walls be covered in trophys, and always peace on the home front!

Well, I finally made it out tonight for the first bowhunt of the year. I hunted a small field north of Grand Rapids. I sat in the InvisiBlind with my 11 and 6 year old daughter's. It was their first time out on stand, so it was pretty cool. Of course wouldn't ya' know it, darn near full moon. I've been on nights the last couple days and the deer activity has been starting right after shooting hours are over. Needless to say we didn't see any deer, except the doe and 2 fawns that were in my dad's driveway on our way out. Oh well, still good to get out. I don't know how long I would've sat on a stand tonight, the mosquito's were pretty thick. I was glad I was sitting in the blind.

Brian

I was watching a bean field last nite where I hunt and to my amazement seen (believe it or not)5 bucks and 2 does!! Four of the five bucks where feeding together along with the 2 does.The neat thing was when I was watching these deer the land owner was also there to witness it.He also is a archery hunter,but also a farmer who is getting ready for harvest.He doesn't have the time to hunt so after seeing that it's kind of cool he lets me hunt the property.It's nice to know there are people like that!!Anyway yesterday I duck hunted the same property with not much luck soI opted to bow hunt this morning.The stand I was going to hunt was near a river which I heard shooting on yesterday.Wouldn't ya know it as soon as I got in my stand a pick-up pulls up right across the river.(Dam ,wood duck hunters)So I departed the area and will try again another day.I have to add the reason I departed quite quickly was because several years ago in the same stand I got struck in the back by a stray slug.Not a good feeling. I hope my luck changes!! Good huntin' to all!! Jigster

Finally connected last night on a doe. Shot her at about 10 yards on my brother in law's field. She came out to eat the white oak acorns. Made a perfect recovery...she ran about 40 yards and died in sight of my stand. This a awesome because I am as colorblind as it gets. My buddy missed a very nice buck last night. Misjudged the distance, he figures because the body size was so big. It was at 35 yards and he judged 25....oh well, no harm done. Anyway, last night was a good one!

Congrats on the deer extreme!

Saturday was ok for me. Nothing in the morning besides squirrels. Saturday morning my buddie got busted by an 8 point on draw. He clanked and it bolted. Saturday evening I ground and pounded in my double bull blind. I saw 5 deer. 3 does and 2 bucks. They never came closer than 50 yards. All were eating beans. Bucks were a fork and an eight. Probably the same one my buddy missed.

Sunday was nill. Sat on a new 60 acres that I was allowed to hunt. Awesome sign just no deer. This is a great piece and I am privelaged to be able to hunt it.

Congratulations on the doe extreme. I had one at 30 yards for just a second on Friday night, but I had a 6 pointer at about 15 checking me out. I'm not sure I could have shot anyway, I trimmed a lot, but not enough. Friday night I saw 6, Saturday night I saw 2 at about 400 yards, & Sunday night I saw zilch. Shot very few ducks in the morning, but all in all a great weekend.

I got my first deer with a bow Sunday night. Just put up my portable on a field edge over looking beans and then behind me was a mowed draining ditch. I created 3 lanes, 2 to the beans and 1 to the mowed area. Wind was blowing into my face, perfect night for that 8 pointer my buddy saw the night before walkin' on the beans. Figured this might be my lucky night.
Spotted 2 does come across the bean field and duck into the tree line I was in, probably 50-75 yds away from. Just before they got into the tree line, they walked away from me. GREAT I was thinkin'! 5 minutes passed and I saw some movement coming towards me in the tree line and they were coming towards me behind on the mowed area.
The 2 deer walked right up the trail I had walked on to get to my stand.
I had sprayed some acorn cover scent after all my milling around that afternoon. Those 2 deer came right into my area and were sniffin' the acorn scent. They didn't even look up at me once-never knew I was there! They walked right under me and then the first deer jumped over some trees to my lane that I had created. I couldn't move yet because the 2nd deer was right under me. The first deer walked away and the 2nd deer followed, stopped and drew my string and NAILED IT! Saw it run off and after looking for it, didn't run more than 50 yrds. Ended up double lunging it! Couldn't believe my shot!
Ended up being a little button buck. I admit I did feel bad about the size and it being a buck and all. BUT then again it was my first deer and I felt pretty good about my accomplishment.
I will now hold off for a bigger doe or that nice buck.
One under my belt.........pretty cool feeling!

Congratulations!

Last night was a good night on the stand saw some deer and almost had a doe in the bag, heres what happened. About 6:30 I see a small buck working his way toward me, juswt a little 1-1/2 year old. I let him walk basically right under my stand, that was cool. Anyway, about 15 minutes later, I see a group of does working their way towards me and I was ready, they were heading right in fron of me, whe out of nowhere, here comes this little buck charging after them, they obviously wanted nothing to do with this little horn dog and scattered up across the other side of the ravine, for the next 5 minutes I heard him running these does all across the hillside. It was cool to see, his first rut apparantly, right idea, wrong timing!

Last night I shot a 8 pointer. First night I went out this year. Rattled him in if you can believe that. I just took the rattle bag and rolled it around to make it sound like they were sparring . It's a good technique to use this time of year.The bucks are curious ....two minutes later I see a rack sticking out of the brush. walked toward my stand. 12 steps away....down for the count.Went about forty yards.