• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any reports?

bmc

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out in the morning and did not see a dang thing... Windy as all get out.Went to a different spot in the evening, river bottom land.. The wind was still stiff but I had the itch to go. At about 5 after six two bucks came in a 6 and 8. Had a nice shot at the six, but only go for ones 8 and over, but he never gave a good shot til 69 yards out and thats just a bit far for me.

Awesome 1st day of bowhunting! While hunting a WMA in southern MN about 7:00 am I had a forkie walk 10 yards past me as I was standing in the corner of a cornfield. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot the little feller as it is the first day of season in MN, had it been a doe, would've been tits up. B-in-law had a fork and a 6 walk by at 50 yards then winded him. On the way out we had a wide forkie try to sneak up on us and we let him pass at 40 yards. Then B-in-law and I did the sneak thing on a forkie and a decent 8 that were feeding along a CRP?woods edge I let the 8(115-120 class)go, would've been a easy 20 yard poke, but I just couldn't shoot him either this early. All together we saw 6 bucks while hunting(2 more on the way home).

Very windy for us too. Nothing for me Saturday am, heard a couple of deer run out from under my stand walking in in the dark. They were close enough you could hear the acorns crunch under their feet.

Saturday night had a nice big doe & fawn come past around 75 yards, they never intended to come in. The doe winded me when she got exactly down wind. Never blew or stomped, just stood & looked my direction for a minute or two & then went back the way they'd come.

Too hot yesterday, watched football & took a nap.

Saturday morning was nice but no deer spotted, about 9:30 the wind started to blow and never stopped for the two days. One spike buck seen at 67 yards at 7PM Saturday, a doe and two spotted fawns seen at 27 yards on sunday at 7:30 AM, didn't shoot. Can't say I enjoyed the heat 84 degrees sunday and the wind gusting to 30+ on Sunday afternoon. Next weekend will be better.

Only hunted Sat night because of the heat. It was still plenty warm and windy on Sat. Anyway it was hunting. Ended up seeing 2 bucks...combined antler total of 4 pts. It was pretty awesome getting back on the stand. I let them both walk, as I do have a 8-pt minimum for the year. Both were still in velvet and at one point, were within 10 feet of my tree. A good night overall, considering the weather sucked. Only gets better from here!

Seen one big doe at about 60 yards.
Lot of deer sign around. Must still be hanging out in the corn fields. Where I hunt 2/3's is surrounded by corn fields.
When the corn is down it should get good.
The land owner says he has seen a couple nice bucks evrey now and then and they are either coming out of the corn or going into the corn.

Saturday a couple guys were also hunting the public land I was on, so me and my cousin had to move to a different spot. Set up his tree stand along a cornfield, and I set laid in some tall grass on the edge of a different cornfield. Saw a 8 pointer 40 yards behind, unfortually he spotted me first and ran off. We went sat. night, I saw nothing and he saw a doe and three fawns, and a 7 point buck. All at 60 yards. Sun night I went by myself and didn't see a thing. It was way to windy both days the deer were moving in the dark. Hope I have better luck tonight after this rain. Been watching a huge buck all summer.

Saw 30 deer munching on alpalpha and clover in my friends field.... all does and fawns. Had a few walk right under my portable stand and got some good video of a doe staring up at me from the base of my stand. Saw a fox and a skunk but NO big bucks or small ones for that matter. It really was windy and I beleive the big boys were bedding down. I'll try again next weekend before I go out and whack some ducks (9:00 AM)

I only went out Saturday night and Sunday morning. It was great to finally be in the tree stand once again. Tried some new land that I have, and was left very disappointed. I saw a hummingbird and a beaver, not even a squirrel. I blaim it on the heat and wind, just wasn't the right conditions, but I will give it another shot tonight.

Fish- N- Hunt

Went out Saturday evening and saw 5.(Does and fawns) Nothing close enough. Took my 9 year old son out for the first time Sunday and had 3 bucks eating beans in front of us for over an hour.(4,6, and 8 point) Ended up shooting a doe at 35 yards. My son is hooked. Very exciting to have him with. Now that I have my meat I can look for Mr. Big!! Good luck to all!!

Tom Bow.. Scrape juice or something like that. When I see him tommorow I will ask. I can't remember the name of it. I think he got it from Gander. At least that is where he got his new stand.

Congrats trophy! It's amazing how you can get kids hooked and teach them how to do things right. My buddies 5 year old stayed up way past his bedtime so he could sample some tenders. "That's good steak" was his response. He can't wait to go out in the woods with dad.

[This message has been edited by panolo (edited 09-20-2004).]

saw about 30 on sat morning. all loving the acorns, if you got some oak trees sit near them, lots of deer looking for acorns!! had 2 fawns UNDER my stand saturday morning, a nice doe at 35, a ,little far for a confident shot. a skunk that was too far for me to shoot to kill without spraying. a nice 8 and a fork on saturday night, along with a bunch of does and fawns. not a whole lot sunday morning. seen lots of deer!! a huge old doe that had a black back. all in all a good weekend but cant wait for ducks!!

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh

Got out this weekend and didn't get anything. Saturday morning had a doe under me right away in the morning- didn't even know I was in the stand. TO my dismay, the stand I was in was suited more for gun hunting then bow hunting. Made modifications later that night. No shot. Came down from the stand at 9:30am and just as I was getting down, 2 little does came walking down the trail and got within 10 yds. of me. Coolest thing ever! Ended up spooking them because I had to get out of there.
Saturday night- saw 2 nice size does 50 yds out and ducked into a corn field. Didn't see them for 15 mins. or so. Looked back on the trail and there was one of the does looking up at me. Kicked her foot into the ground and few times- whistled through her nose and she was off.
Nothing on Sunday!
Was first time out on opener!

Saturday morning... Rather uneventful. Had about 12 turkeys out front making some racket. Had a fox come by with a hen pheasant in her mouth. A forkie that was a ways away. Nobody else in the group had anything eventful happen.

Saturday evening... More turkeys and a doe and a fawn at 70 yards. They were not going to come in to where I was. At least I got to watch them for awhile. My buddy saw a nice 8 pointer at about 50 yards and he couldn't get him to come over. He wanted corn and nothing was going to stop him. Biggest deer my buddy has seen and he was still ghost white an hour later.

Sunday morning.... Slept in and had a big breakfast!

Sunday afternoon.... Decided to ground and pound it due to high winds. Setup my blind in some sumac thatlooks over an alfalfa corner by a swamp. Had a group of 2 hens and 6 young turkeys close enough I could count feathers. They had no clue I was there. About 6:45 I had Mr. Big walk out 75 yards up wind. Awesome deer. He was headed the other way into the wind so I decided I was going to stalk him and see if I could get a shot. I nuck out of my ground blind and walked into the woods and made it within 40 yards of him. I only really wanted a 20-25 yard shot on this animal because he is a monster and my shooting lanes were marginal at best. So I need to belly crawl the last 15-20 yards. I get down on my belly and I am just maybe 5-10 feet from where I need to be to take a shot at this brute. He has no clue I am there. He is intent on eating some alfalfa. All of a sudden a flock of turkeys decides they are going to walk right in front of me. They are no more than 5 feet. The first 6 or so make it past and don't even notice me. Than king tom is walking by and spots me. He goes crazy and they all fly off. 20 turkeys sure make a ton of a racket. Mr. Big decides these turkeys are right and he beats it right out of area. Big dissapointment. I was so close. This was my hunting show deer. 140-150 class. Just a hog. I will get a shot at him this year.

My buddy did end up scoring a nice doe about 7:20 Sunday evening. This was his first deer. She weighed about 120 pounds or so. Shoulder hit and the arrow stuck in and did damage as she ran. Lots of little slices on the heart. Very neat to see. She maybe made it 75 yards. The story on it. He had bought a new stand cause his broke saturday evening. Safety harness saved him from some harm. So we put up his new stand Sunday mid morning. After we get it up he starts making a fake scrape. Said he was watching Ted Nugent this morning and Ted did it so he was going to try it. I told him it was too early and he was crazy. We get his atnd up and leave for lunch. So this doe is coming in later in the evening and he has no shot. She is 30 yards away and in a bad area. She is walking away and he is not going to get a shot. All of a sudden she lifts her head in the air and sniffs. She smelled that scrape! She walks down to it and proceeds to sniff it and give my buddy a 10 yard broad side shot. I couldn't believe it. Maybe I need to watch Ted a little more myself. Stayed up till 12:30 butchering. I was glad there were 4 of us to cut it up. Goes way quicker.

All in all a great weekend. Lots of fun. Sorry for the long post.

My hunting buddy scored on a doe last night in the rain. Decided to go out when the rain broke...was in the stand for less than 5 minutes when a year and a half doe came in. He drilled her and she went 50 yards. He said it was less than an hour from the time he left home till the time he was back home with the deer hanging. Pretty cool.

Cool stories, wish I had one to contribute! Got out only Saturday aft and didn't see squat, i was in a stand between a bedding area and a soybean field, but I know from previous years they like the alfalfa patch nearby better, so I need to make some adjustments. I hope to get out this week yet.