• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rank your order of preference

GrumpyOldCrappie

Are you an eater or catch and releaser?

I know a few fisherman that love the sport of catching fish but won't keep anything for food because they don't care for the taste of fish.

My preference for eating is:

Walleye, crappie, sun fish, perch

I don't like northern, not even pickeled, no bass, or any of the garbage fish.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you an eater or catch and releaser?

My preference for eating is:

Walleye, crappie, sun fish

I'll also eat bass.

Last year I was lazy and every fish I caught went back in the lake. I just never felt like cleaning them. Ive been kicking myself all winter for it because I really caught a lot of nice fish last year and could of had some really good meals. On the other side they should be even bigger this year and I'll be cleaning all that I keep and I do have standards on size. I used to keep northern's for my Grandma but sadly she is in a home now. I'll take a picture for her though.

I forgot smelt, the annual smelt fry at the Darwin Rod and Gun Club. Although I don't know if they are considered fish or bait but they are great to eat.

I think have odd taste buds when it comes to fish, but the following would be my order of preference...

Yellow bullheads cooked like mom used to.

Perch.

Eelpout backstraps dipped in sweet butter.

Crappies.

Walleyes.

Pike.

I do keep fish within my personal slot, but it's becoming a rare occurence...

Every trout or salmon reeled in gets eaten.

I only keep other fish for a fish fry about once a month in the summer so mostly C&R. I try to do a couple batches of pickled pike a year.

#1 Trout/Salmon over 5 lbs smoked, under grilled or fried.

Distant #2: Tie for Walleyes, bass from clear waters, and properly filleted northerns.

Haven't cat fished since my friend's parents sold their cabin on the river, would like to get back into that. Yum!

I dont normally keep panfish unless they are pretty big.

I like smoked salmon and trout, I can also eat smoked carp, and pickled harring. The only "freash fish" I can eat (fish allergy) is eelpout backstraps. So I guess thats:

1. Smoked Salmon

2. Smoked Trout

3. Eelpout

4. Smoked Carp

5. Pickled Herring

My daughter LOVES sunfish and crappies, breaded in cornflakes and fried. So hers would be:

1. Sunfish

2. Crappies

The reality is most of my fishing is done in the C&R method. But once or twice a year, in the winter, I will keep enough pannies so that I can cook up some fish for her and her grandpa. Because homemade fishsticks are better than the ones from the box.

Ha, funny responses (No body in particular). I eat fish. I am not going to tell you that I CPR MOST OF THE TIME OR ONLY FOR A MEAL ONCE IN A WHILE. I like fish, I buy a license and abide by the regulations.

Hard bite vs good bite may determine my harvest. Judgment, if I keep fish that I have caught, I have earned it. I could go into the whole large Fish/Genes kept in the lake thing, but I am comfortable with myself and being legal.

I also don't spread the word on Hot spots, nor go day after day (same as tipping my hand on a good bite).

I am a proud fisherman and enjoy the right/privileges to do so.

Northern Pike, Yellow Pearch, Sunfish, Crappie, Walleye. Pout is great, but most won't understand.

river-rat4

Three species for me!

The first is yellow perch! I am true CPR guy, but yellow perch taste very good and I have allowed my self a meal or two during the ice season.

Second, crappie! If one swallows the hook deep and will not swim down the hole, I start to keep them after. I can most likely get a great meal. This only happens about once a year.

Third, channel cats! If you have ever been to the Cool Cats GT, you know what I mean wink

The reason I am a CPR type of guy is derived out of laziness grin I hate to get home and clean fish, but I sure do not turn down a freshly fried meal wink

Just curious for those that don't rank northerns as fish they eat if it's because of the taste or because they don't want to mess with/don't know how to clean out the "Y" bones. I've had some great meals of northern.

So mine would be for MN species...I'd have to say a tie between nice 15"-18" walleye and scaled skin on sunfish for #1, then crappie or northern. Don't get into all that many large perch.

All around species I have to put Halibut (which I have an ample amount in the freezer from the Alaska trip last year!!) up on the top along with Silver Salmon thrown in the mix.

Like previous poster, if I have a meal in the freezer yet, C&R, but otherwise,

1. Walleye. You just cant beat that nice thick fillet

2. Sunfish. Just darn good eatin

3. Perch. Walleye cousin, just need more for the meal

4. Crappie/northern/catfish. Good enough to go in the belly