• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What if?

AndyM

Since the walleye and northern season ended here last weekend, what happens if you catch a eye or northern while panfishing and it is hooked bad, air bladder out of its mouth etc. you try putting the fish back in the water but it doesn't move, now what? Do you keep it, leave it in the hole, call DNR? Just wondering

Mouth to mouth wink , no it needs to go back down the hole. Even if the fish only has a 1% chance to survive, thats better odds then in your bucket. If it dies it becomes food for something else. The best thing you can do is, if you are catching them, move to a different spot, to get away from them!

Down the hole. I gotta play devil's advocate here and expand on what Sonic said above. The day after walleye season ends I hook and land a monster..lets say 12+ pounder...if that precedence has been set that we can keep a fish that was hooked too deep and subsequently dies, then others are gonna be using hook-outs to jam down the gullets of fish that they want to keep out of season. It sucks to send a dead fish back down but that's life I guess.

I dont think anyone on here will tell you to keep it. But then again location is huge here. I wouldn't travel with it (it being the dying/dead fish discribed above) but if it was just out off my backyard then yeah I would be having fish for dinner. Maybe just me but I hate to waste something I was responcible for killing. BTW this "what if" never has happened to me nor do i live on a lake.

Just so everybody here knows, this situation has never happened to me before. I was talking with my brother-in-law about were to fish this coming weekend and he said we should try for some northerns, I told him the season closed and he was wondering what you are supposed to do if you catch and wound or kill one out of season. I didn't know so I put it on here.

Off topic, but kinda along the same lines- what if you hit a pheasant with a vehicle, can you keep it? My dad hit one a couple years back out of season, and it was a $500 pheasant, the cost for his deductible to fix the front plastic it broke on his truck

In most cases these dead fish are not going to waste. Some other animal, bird or fish will eat it. Just because you are not the one eating it, does not consider it a waste.

So if I kill a fish and don't want to keep it, I can throw it back into the water and it won't be wonton waste....because it will eventually feed something?

Just playing devil's advocate, makes you think though

Off topic, but kinda along the same lines- what if you hit a pheasant with a vehicle, can you keep it? My dad hit one a couple years back out of season, and it was a $500 pheasant, the cost for his deductible to fix the front plastic it broke on his truck

I've been wondering the same thing...Two years ago out in North Dakota we hit an Albino pheasant with the truck. I wanted to keep it, but the other guys told me that I should'nt. I ended up not keeping it but wish I would of. Sweet lookin bird!!

If you hit a deer, you call the local warden and they will either physically deliver you a posession permit or send one in the mail after you give them location of kill and specifics on the animal.

Trains hit lots of moose in the fall and the railroad guys eat well because of it.

IMO if you hit a game bird and call the warden they will probably just say take it.

legally back down the hole. Not to get this off topic but say you fishing a lake where the maximum length eye you can keep is 20 inches. If you catch a 21 and it aint gonna swim away what do you do? I am not saying I have done this because I don't wanna get bashed. Ethically would it not be right to keep the fish and risk the ticket? I am not saying if caught you shouldn't get a ticket, but is it worth the chance to do what you think is ethically right?