• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sight fishing pannies

Farley

Long story short, I found some of my panfish rods are too long when sight fishing so I just picked up a really short Jason Mitchell sight fishing rod, cant wait to get out and use it but was looking for a reel to match it up with. I thought I'd just put on one of my walleye reels that wont be used for the rest of the ice season but found they are probably too big for that little rod. Looked around at Gander and didnt find much also looked at Cabelas and Thorne online and couldnt find anything that seemed that much smaller than a standard reel. For those of you who use these tiny rods, what reels do you put on them. I wasnt planning on spending more than $50 on a reel but I guess if that's my only option for a decent reel with no backlash, I'll go that route. Most of the reels I looked at online were 6.3 oz, maybee that's small enough???

I own most of the ones mentioned ... you'd be happy fishing panfish with any of these reels. I don't own any of the new Shimano 500's, but tried them in the store - they are very smooth, I'd say on par with the Pflueger President.

i agree with the mitchell avocett it is a nice reel that is smooth and cheap and it hold alot of line. but i guess you dont need alot of line for sight fishing since your in probably 3-6 fow . thats my opinion. hope you find what your looking for!