• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arrow selection

WaveWacker

Quick question for anyone...I currently shoot Gold Tip XT Hunter 7595 arrows with a shaft length of 29". Being in need of some new arrows I contacted the local outdoors store to get some more (different place then what I purchased the original arrows from). I typically shoot while hunting around the 70lb range. I was told that I should switch over to the 5575 arrows and that they don't even carry on hand the 7595's due to now one really shooting them.

What is anyone's thoughts here? Switch over to the 5575 or stick with the 7595's? I shoot well with the 7595's but is there any advantage/disagvantage of switching? Would like to support the local economy. Thanks in advance.

WW

I don't know those arrow numbers personally. In fact I got new arrows with my new bow & don't even know the numbers, but I'd try calling another shop or three & see if they tell you the same thing. I switched from aluminum to carbon a few years ago & didn't have to change my sights hardly at all.

WaveWacker; I was looking in my archery catalog at Goldtip arrows. If you are shooting 29" arrows with 100gr tips your bow poundage should be anywhere from 55lbs to 75lbs. If shooting 125 gr heads then poundage should be between 50 and 70lbs. If your bow is in this range, you should be ok. The 5575's will definately be faster but the spline should be ok...according to their Goldtip's chart. Hope this helps

WW,

I have a few questions for you. What kind of bow are you shooting(brand and model)? What is the axle to axle? Draw length? Broadhead/fieldpoint weight? Type of cam on the bow(hard, medium, soft, solo cam)? Do you shoot with a release or fingers? If you shoot with a release is it a caliper style or rope release? Do you shoot with an overdraw on the bow? If you answer these questions before I head out of the country tomorrow I can correctly determine what arrows are better spined for your setup.

Thanks,
Russ

guys, not sure about the gold tip numbers, but the numbers on an easton arrow mean this... the first 2 numbers are the (i think diameter) of the arrow in thirty seconds of an inch. the 2nd pair of numbers is the wall thickness of the arrow in thousanths of an inch. example: i shoot a 2216 arrow. it is 22/32 of an inch (i think diameter) and 16 is 16/1000ths of an inch wall thickness
I was told this by the easton company a while back, i hope i got it in the right order, if not you got a general idea

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh

Pooh,
For Goldtip arrows they use a much different numbering scheme. They call an arrow a 7595, which means that the arrow is rated for a 75-95lb bow while a 5575 is rated for a 55-75 lb bow. It's simple but uneffective as cam type, bow geometries, tip weights....etc. do a great deal in determining the correct arrow spine along with the draw weight. The numbering scheme they use will get you close but there are many more variables in the equation that become ignored in that type of system. I have a program that I can enter all of the variables in the equation and I will obtain a much better answer to what arrow I should use and to what degree.

No problem pooh!!! It would be nice if there was a general arrow numbering scheme between all arrow vendors. This would take a lot of the confusion between brands. I have to say I prefer the Easton number scheme once I learned what it meant.

Going to 5575's will cut down total arrow weight by about 20 grains. I assume you have 4" vanes on these arrows. Do you use a 125gr point? If you are using 100gr points? If so your FOC (Front of Center balance point) is pretty low (7%). How do your broadheads fly with the 7595's? I'd guess your shooting expandables because fixed blade broadheads would be a....to tune. I think you'd be better off shooting 5575's, higher FOC and more stable arrow flight (in theory). Bow specs, fingers or release shooting, tip weight, feathers or vanes--this info will give you a better idea what to use. Best of Luck!

Thanks Fellas!

I shoot (hunting) around the 70lb mark with 4" veins, with a release, 29" draw length, no overdraw, 100gr. expandables, that's all I know off the top of my head.

I feel rather confident that the 5575 are going to work out for me. Talked extensively with a guy that is a bow hunting fanatic this weekend about it. Thanks again.
WW