• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A hard choice 10mm or 45

This is my first time here, so here it goes.

I've been shooting handguns for over 10 yrs now and never owned one or purchased one. So about 2 months ago, i decided i will get a purchase permit and go get one for the first time. I narrrowed it down to 3 guns i really like-glock 20sf, glock 21sf ,and the xd 45. I went back and forth between the three for about 3 weeks and finally I made a decision. So over the weekend i went out and got the 45xd and 200 rd. After shooting it I think i made the right call.

i hope the xdm 45 is just a rumor, or i will kick myself, if its not then i might be getting that one too.

2 hands = 2 guns smile

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota (FM)! I have a friend with the glock 29 in 10mm and since it is a hand cannon in that sub compact frame I don't like to shoot it much. I own a taurus pt1911 and considered the xd, but I went the traditional 1911 route. do you reload yet? You will soon, 45's are getting very expensive.......... I was at a gander mountain about 2 weeks ago and they had a full sized 10mm glock 20 with adjustable sights for 419. It was barely used and my left hand had a very hard time walking away from that one..........I am glad I did too, I am now looking for a new 17hmr henry varmit lever action rifle.....

That Glock 20 makes a very nice Whitetail gun(about a 35 yard range). But that is about it. Just to big to be of much use other than that. Not that that is gospel, only my oppinion. I have fairly small hands, therefor prefer more of the "Compact" size handguns.

Welcome to FM. Let us know how your new toy works for you. I am also thinking .45acp for my next handgun purchase. Leaning twards the officer/comander size though. Preferably comander sized slide, officers frame.

The .45 xdm is not just a rumor sorry. I have been using the xd .40 for my conceal carry gun for 5 years now and love it very realiable and accurate gun easy to clean. I bought mine before they made it in a .45 wish I would have waited but it gives me an excuse to go by the .45xdm. Another one that I bought and really love and is more accurate for me is a sigpro it comes from their custom shop like the xdm. If you try to shoot hollow points out of your xd I had a problem with the winchesters they would catch and jam so insted of wasting money on ammo that won't feed before you buy them open the box and see if their is a taper to the hollow point the narrower at the tip the better they feed the corbonds and remingtons worked well for me

The .45 xdm is not just a rumor sorry. I have been using the xd .40 for my conceal carry gun for 5 years now and love it very realiable and accurate gun easy to clean. I bought mine before they made it in a .45 wish I would have waited but it gives me an excuse to go by the .45xdm. Another one that I bought and really love and is more accurate for me is a sigpro it comes from their custom shop like the xdm. If you try to shoot hollow points out of your xd I had a problem with the winchesters they would catch and jam so insted of wasting money on ammo that won't feed before you buy them open the box and see if their is a taper to the hollow point the narrower at the tip the better they feed the corbonds and remingtons worked well for me

Did you try polishing the feed ramp? I had a gun that needed shining a while back. Traded it away for unrelated reliability issues.

1000 rounds, thats nothin'!!! You are still breaking it in. grin

Still, FTF is an issue, especially right out of the box. By "polished" are you talking factory, or did you diy/have it done. I think some brillow pad time may be in your future. Just as a touch up, mabe....

Does a hard smack seat the round? Or is it a tap/rack/bag type failure? Or like you said, just use a different round.

After over a month shooting the xd 45 and more than 1000 rds thru it I made a right choice on the gun. The feel on it is very natural, shoots very smooth and very easy to fieldstrip for cleaning, havent had a problem yet with jamming or misfire. The ammos for these are getting expensive, but the prices for ammo overall for any caliber is getting up there too. I wont be plinking as much maybe once a month or every other month. As for this being my very first gun I bought I'm pleased with it and love it. I will buy another gun later on in the year, it will be another springfield. Like I said in my first post I've been shooting pistols for over 10 yrs and in my opinon if you want price and relibility a glock or a springfield is where you should go, but thats my opinon.

I want to thank everyone who replied and have a safe and happy shooting.

Congrats on your new gun. Definatly look in to getting a reloader. The 45 acp is an easy case to load and you'll find yourself shooting alot more. I started out loading for my 44 mag and before I knew it, I had 15 different sets of dies on my bench. Good luck. Did you save all that brass by the way?