• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS Chip?

lungslicer

If you want Lake of the Woods you will have to get two chips, neither LakeMaster nor Navionics have LOTW on their chips with the rest of MN.

Red, Winnie and Mille Lacs are on the LakeMaster MN chip, I think Nav has them too (not 100% sure of that without checking). I use both LM and Nav and generally prefer LM for the lakes it covers.

You can check out the map chips at Pro Fishing Supply LakeMaster Chips and Navionics Chips. We have the '09 Nav Chips available, as well as the LOTW / Rainy Lake LakeMaster Chip and the new Dakotas LM chip.

With the Lake Master you can zoom in farther so it's nicer for an H2O. I have both but prefer Navionics here in Wisconsin (LMS 334c) because it has more of the smaller lakes in my area but I use the Lake Master in my XOG for the zoom factor.

Which ever one you decide on, Pro Fishing Supply is a great place to get them. Dave will treat you right!!!

That's interesting you say the navionics chip can't zoom in as good. I was looking at maybe getting the 09 navionics because the number of smaller lakes and the number of 1 foot contours. I guess 1 foot contours aren't any good if you cant zoom in to see the detail.

Good to know since I'm looking for a chip for my XOG I ordered.

That's interesting you say the navionics chip can't zoom in as good. I was looking at maybe getting the 09 navionics because the number of smaller lakes and the number of 1 foot contours. I guess 1 foot contours aren't any good if you cant zoom in to see the detail.

Good to know since I'm looking for a chip for my XOG I ordered.

On H20s the Nav chip won't zoom in as far as the LakeMaster chip. On gps and combo units like you'd mount in a boat they will both zoom in to the same level.

I haven't tried zooming in on a Nav chip with an XOG but I think it'd be the same as the H20???? Not sure about that though .....

Is the zoom nicer on LakeMaster? Yes ---- but not if LakeMaster doesn't have your lake and Navionics does have your lake.

I wouldn't say the 1 foot contours aren't any good on a Nav chip on an H2O. You can still zoom in to 1/4 or 1/8 of a mile and get pretty good detail, definately better than if you didn't have a chip.

I guess I worded that wrong, I didn't mean that you couldn't zoom in with Navionics but that with the LM in the H2O you could zoom in farther. I was told that with the XOG, LM could zoom in farther but I haven't tried the Navionics in my XOG, just the LM chip. I do have the Nav chip in my H20 and it seems to get you close enough to be able to see what you need to.

Hope that clears thing up a bit. 1.gif

That's fine I get the idea though, I will have to decide which lakes are on and which aren't. Any idea when the 09 lakemaster list will come out?

With the XOG's, you guys use them in your boat? What did you use to mount it and how do they do in the sun? Can't wait to get a chip and give it a try on the ice, save some gas with the auger hopefully.

XOGs arent waterproof so using them in a boat is only a good idea if you never fish in rain or get splashing in your boat.

The H2Oc would be my choice for a all around GPS thats good in a boat or sled/wheeler.

XOG is great in a vehicle and guys used them on sleds this winter with good luck from what they say.

Quote:
I haven't tried zooming in on a Nav chip with an XOG but I think it'd be the same as the H20???? Not sure about that though .....

The XOG with a Lakemaster will zoom into 12'. The XOG with the Nav. chip will only zoom to 100'. Not a big deal, just an FYI.

If I am correct, the 08 Nav. chip does not have Upper Red Lake on it. They might have added it for 09.

I have no dought in my mind my XOG will be in the boat this year smile. I have had an XOG all ice season and have not treated it all that well, to see how far it will go. It has been dropped in slush and snow, used in -10 plus temps, been snowed on, frosted on, slight rain and even fell off my snowmobile last weekend (perchpounder can back me on that grin) while riding. Still works great and gets me right back to my holes with a couple feet.

The XOG with a Lakemaster will zoom into 12'. The XOG with the Nav. chip will only zoom to 100'. Not a big deal, just an FYI.

Thanks for the info. 100' is all my m68c can zoom into anyways so I'm used to that. It looks like it will come down to what lakes I fish. Thanks guys.

make sure about the lakes you want are on the chip as I havent been really pleased with the version I bought 08 there isnt many lakes in the area of maine I live in or fish on as I see it I bougth the h20 and chip for one lake I go to 1 time a year and Ill have to be happy with that Im also dissapointed with the base map that comes with it as the roads are non existant shows I really live in the woods and the lakes that they dont have mapping for dont even come close in shape other than the lake I am going to use it on once a year (1 of 2 detailed maps) the regular maps that the magellan (topo) are alot better in lake shape and is my go to for most of my outdoor activities IMHO