• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moose Shed Hunting?

JohnD

I'm thinking about making a trip up to the boundary waters this spring to try to pick up a moose antler, can anyone give me some advice? I do a lot of shed hunting for whitetails, but I would love to find a moose shed.

I by no means am moose antler expert, having never done it. But i can share with you that during our 09' MN moose hunt we found 3 sheds. One was in mint condition, one was chewed a little and the other i don't have a pic of but i'm sure it was old. it was white, green and chewed on.

When we hunted we found two area's that seemed to have a lot of moose. I plan on going up in april or may to look for moose antlers. I will go and look for the other antler that we found that is in perfect condition. and then i'll look for others. I'm sure it will not be easy though, as moose obviously are not as prevelent as deer. So my expectations are low. my goal will be one.

Here are a few pics from this fall....

Picture4751.jpg

Picture4753.jpg

Picture4763.jpg

Picture4767.jpg

oh, and here is our bull we got on day 8 of our hunt...

Picture4845.jpg

Anyone know when the best time to go would be? I would like to go when the snow is gone, and before everything starts to green up, when is that usually in the great northland?

Also, I've never been to the Boundary Waters, if we just go in for the day and don't camp, do we still need a pass or anything, or can we just come and go for the day?

thanks

Anyone know when the best time to go would be? I would like to go when the snow is gone, and before everything starts to green up, when is that usually in the great northland?

Also, I've never been to the Boundary Waters, if we just go in for the day and don't camp, do we still need a pass or anything, or can we just come and go for the day?

thanks

Some guys go looking right around Christmas through the spring, etc. Spring Green up doesn't usually occur until after the fishing opener. After that the green stuff starts becoming prolific.

If you enter the boundary waters for a day trip you do not need a reservation, but you will need to fill out a day-use permit. They are available at the entry sites and/or you can get them at regular permit issue stations.

One more question, where do you suggest we stay for a trip into the boundary waters? We don't want to camp, as this is our first time up there, probably just grab a map, GPS, and our backpacks and go for a hike. We would prefer to stay in a hotel or something, not necessarily an expensive lodge or resort.

Any suggestions on where to stay, and where to enter the BWCAW? Somewhere around the Gunflint trail possibly.

JohnD -

Not sure exactly where to tell you to go into the bwca. However, there are lots of places you can do a day trip in from.

Maybe an option that might suit you well.........here's what we did, we stayed either in a tent in the SNF or at the super 8 in grand marais. We did most of our hunting in the superior national forest. Most of the BWCA is surrounded by the SNF. Go onto google earth, find some creeks, ponds that are adjacent to logged areas and you will find some moose. There are great moose areas within 30 mins of grand marais and most of it is state or national forest. THere are logging area's everywhere.

Just another option for you.

One more question, where do you suggest we stay for a trip into the boundary waters? We don't want to camp, as this is our first time up there, probably just grab a map, GPS, and our backpacks and go for a hike. We would prefer to stay in a hotel or something, not necessarily an expensive lodge or resort.

Any suggestions on where to stay, and where to enter the BWCAW? Somewhere around the Gunflint trail possibly.

Call Bob Baker at Gunflint Pines if you go up the trail. They have camping cabins - and are reasonable. You can cook your own food and use the bathroom/showers on site. Basically, bunk beds in a cabin - very simple. Many options to enter from their location.

Otherwise, a hotel? Aside from camping, places to stay are not usually inexpensive. IMO

Anyone finding any moose sheds?