• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shower doors cleaners

chanfish

1) my shower doors are clear plastic(textured) but i cant get clean. they are milky in appearance. any ideas or recommendations on how to get them clear? i heard comet but the wife is vetoing that. if i had to choose one thing it would be gasoline or something solvent to cut through it. (i know that is extreme but it has worked for other applications with due care)

2)also my shower stall basin is white plastic but is getting dark. i hate to use a rough scrub for fear of opening a hole or

harming by making it thin. any advise would be so appreciated.

thanks

I use something called The Works Tub and Tile Cleaner. As much as I hate shopping at WalMart, it's the only place I can find it. Some stores sell stuff made by The Works but not the same thing. The active chemicals in it are Oxalic acid and Sulfamic acid, if that helps identify it when you're shopping. I use it to get rid of iron stains on my tub(fiberglass) and in my dishwasher (plastic interior made of what?). It works immediately. It does put off a rather strong odor that more than likely should not be inhaled.

I agree with your wife not to use comet. The comet that I remember is an abrasive powder. That probably isn't going to work to well on the plastic doors.

You need to use an acid based product for both problem areas. Preferrably, something that will foam on to give you some contact time. Don't use any petroleum products on plastic and by all means keep the gasoline out of the bathroom. Stop by the Home Depot and check out some of the Zep products on the shelves for cleaning bathrooms...just make sure they are acid based. Acid is the only thing that will eat through the mineral problems you are having.

Red, we use the same stuff and I think my wife gets it at target. I don't think I have set foot into a Scab-mart for over 3 years.

(Needed a fishing license in Iowa at 5 am.)

As for the product, it works great. I think any soap scum remover will do the trick, spray it on, let sit, if you are gutsy use a green scratch pad on a corner to see if it scratches the plastic.

Try Mr. Clean magic erasers, they work on fiberglass tubs to get scum off. They are also safe for glass top stoves. Maybe try a small corner first- if they don't work you will still find many uses for them. Even take scuffs and marks off painted walls without removing paint- Good product.

One thing to make sure of when you select a product (I can't think of how many times I need to remind my wife of this), is to make sure that it says "safe for septic systems" on the label...if you have your own septic system.

It'd be a big bummer to have clean shower doors, but a frozen septic tank because you killed the bacteria.

Since I cannot use spray on household cleaners due to asthma, I had to find other solutions to clean our shower. Sounds odd, but heat up some vinegar, get the doors wet, and scrub them down with either a rag or a sponge. It may take a little more elbow grease, but at least I can still breathe.

For our shower, we purchased one of those Mr Clean Magic Reach cleaning wands. It has a mild scrubbing surface on the pad that won't damage the shower walls. The pads come with cleaner in it, so you don't have to spray anything.

otherwise ive had good luck with CLR on my fiberglass tub. the yellowing and lime from hard water. it was great. i mixed it strong at 50/50 and put into a spray bottle from the local dollar store. spray on let sit rinse. if that dont work spray on srcub lightly then rinse.

Even easier.....Use Vegetable oil! SERIOUSLY!!! My wife uses it on our shower doors (they are just like you discribed) Take a bunch of papertowels,and rub vegetable oil into them, than just wipe the crud off the glass.

It will work!

We just pop the doors off every 6 months or so, and rub them with veggie oil...it works great.

sorry took so long...

i tried the "works". did not work on the cloudy doors. i also used vinegar which helped alittle. i researched and there are tons of recommendations. i think its down to baby oil or vegetable oil right now...seems like this is very common with these doors. there are literally hundreds of posts on this when you search this. thanks everyone for their help...