• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nils vs. 224

TravP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Cool Cats for two reasons.

1. Catch some fish

2. See for myself what the Nils hype is all about

Never seen or used one before but I think I've used every other brand on the market.

Be sure to look me up Bottle Fish, you are more than welcome to give mine a test drive. I can even show you the one handed drill smile

I own a strikemaster 224 and they are extremely nice. I dont if you relize it but a big benefit about the 224 is you can drill your holes at a angle, this makes getting bigger fish to come up the hole easier. Also with it when you go to re-drill holes it is very easy and doesnt jump around. They are very fast I have went against friends and there is no comparision to any jiffy or strikemaster, I cannot say anything about the Nils I havent gone against one. One bad thing is when blades go bad you need to replace 4 blades VS. 1 or 2, can get spending fast.

i have a 224 and i raced against a jiffy 30 and a lazer mag. It was like -20 degree weather and I was the one drilling the holes for the houses, the other augers hadent got wet yet. My blades were a little froze up but I still beat the jiffy and the lazer mag beat me by like 2 sec. Me and my friend with the lazer mag raced again a couple days ago when my blades were not froze and I smoked him

For speed comparison, Nils probably will win. Although, I've seen guys beat a brand new Nils with a lazer. The 224 cuts more ice per revolution. The Nils is only faster because its gearing ratio is better adjusted for speed, but bogs down easier, and the enigine itself turns faster (you might burn out the motor turning high RPMs, we did it to our lawn mower). Also, you will get a cleaner hole with the SM. The Nils shaft is actually smaller than the hole it drills. So your 8" hole has 7.5" flighting, leaving A LOT of slush in the hole.

I think next year though will be the year for Strikemaster. The new powerheads are very simialar to a Tatanka powerhead. I believe the blade system on the SM is better too.

Be sure to look me up Bottle Fish, you are more than welcome to give mine a test drive. I can even show you the one handed drill smile

I had too do the one handed drill with my Jiffy a few years back when I decided to hit the lake ten days after having shoulder surgery, not easy with that machine!

So can you carry two Nils and drill twice as many holes?

If SM is using the China motors I don't think next year will be their year, cuz I don't think they will be durable anymore. I bet the new SM motors is similar to Tanaka motors cuz it is probably the exact China knock off of the Tanaka motor.

Riverrat56 were you up on the horseshoe chain yesterday? Saw a red pickup coming off the lake at the winter access on Hwy 22, and it was driven by a fella that looked sorta like you. If that was you, I was the guy in the blue Dodge pulling onto the lake around 3:30 pm or so.

I think the sticker on my Tanaka says made in Japan. It doesn't matter to me where its made it a great motor. Just because it doesn't say Made in USA doesn't mean its a cheap or junk product. When I heard that Tecumseh was out of business finally you'd thought I won the lottery I was so happy, sad isn't it. The only good motor IMO that Tecumseh put out is the commercial replacment for Lawnboy's. That Engine was like putting a big block on your push mower and ran like the energizer bunny. My only regret is I didn't buy one while they were available.

The 224 can also drill 2 holes right next to each other like a figure 8. Works great for cutting a spear hole or for the ducer in a portable when you don't want to pull it out with every fish. The 4 inch pilot bit holds it true so it doesn't jump holes like a normal bit would. I have it paired with my robin 4 stroke and am very happy. Don't really care what country it was made in, starts second pull EVERY time and cuts super fast.