• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gulp alive waxies?

cbrooks

It wasn't so much the bait we put on the jig as being exactly on the spot when the bite started, being able to detect it, and then keeping it going without overdoing the presentation. I do think bait is important during a search, however, and Gulp worked properly is very good for that. We had very little action on set rods or bobbered presentations with any bait last winter, but we did very well if we provided just a little movement, often little more than a descent and a pause after it.

If they come up with a hollow waxie in blood red to go with their other colors, the thinner walled the better, I would think that would be just about perfect (Berkley? Are you listening?). Until then I intend to color up some real spikes and waxies in that color to go with the naturals for my hunt baits. From what I read, that doesn't look to be very difficult. Or maybe try food coloring on some Gulp to see if that takes at all. I used some of the tiny spike plastics, but for me too much of the response was small sunnies just sucking on the tails and never getting to the hook even at potato chip size, just too many missed hookups out of too little interest, but then I haven't really worked with them all that much either.

We actually caught most of our crappies last winter on unbaited jigs once the dusk bite started. The 45 degree hanging ones like Marmooskas, 'gill pills, diamonds, and wolframs mostly size 12 did very well for us, color not being as important as type of hang and NOT changing color in the middle of an active bite.

Gulp maggots in white have produced fish for our crew. In fact I just picked up a jar last night. I also have a jar of the gulp waxies in green but the white maggots is is our go to bait for summer hook tipping.