• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fletching, Range finder questions

MIDNIGHT777

1. Does anyone use a range finder for bow hunting? I was thinking about buying one to use for measuring distances from my stand. Do they work for shooting objects like a tree or rock to get distance, and how big does object have to be?

2. What is the best way to remove feather flethcings and glue from carbon arrows? Can new fletchings be put on?

Matt

I would paste in the Cabelas link but it's about five miles long. Just go to Cabelas.com and click on Archery and then on Flecthings/Jigs/Nocks. There are a few fletch removing tools to chose from. Very easy to do. You'll need a jig, new vanes or feathers and good glue. If your new to doing it, I'd go to Bwana or Compound Doctor in the northern TC suburbs and get a hands on lesson.

As far as range finders go, I've just borrowed one once, a Nikon I believe. It just needed a decent size rock/boulder, tree, or a deer to find your distance. Pretty sweet.

Yes, with lazer ranger finders you just need to point them at an object and you will get its distance..

As for taking the fletching off... there are tools made for it..if your very carefull you can take the old flethings off with a razor blade... Here is the tool that the previous post talked about
sau-1145-125x100.jpg

And yes if you buy a fletching jig.. flething is quite easy and rewarding.. you get your arrows exactly the way you want them....

Rangefinders are great and woud recommend them to anyone,laser ones are very easy to use.
as far as fletching, I would practice on a few old arrows first.The only tricky part is applying the right ammount of glue. Bwana is a great place to check into this.Talk to John Larson.

------------------
If people weren't supposed to eat animals.
Why are they made out of meat??
FM Stickersl

The fletching remover posted above is awesome for aluminum arrows but will remove some carbon fibers from the arrow shaft when used on carbon arrows. I re-fletch approximately 20 dozen arrows a year with a 50/50 mix of aluminums and carbons. The best thing I have found to date for carbons is a sharp fillet knife and not to apply lots of pressure while scraping off the feathers. I apply minimal pressure on the knife and scrape very quickly back and forth to remove the feather and glue. This is a personal thing but this has worked the best for me and many other top archers that I know and trust.

If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks,
Russ

Thanks for the replies!!!!

The other day I tried using a Stanley utility knife on my carbon arrows. I tried really hard to be gentle on them and not knick the carbon. It seemed to work fine. I just was not sure if I should be using this method or not.

Anyone know the difference between the $400 and $150 range finders?

Matt

hey. as far as range finders, if you just plan on using it for archery, go with the cheaper model. most high end ones are more for rifle hunting. i don't own one, but have used them mainly for sighting in my scope for elk hunting.
if just bowhunting, i step off a few landmarks so when i'm in my stand/blind i have a yardage reference. things can get a little iffy when that buck sneaks in on ya.

------------------
spawn til you die,
perch.

The difference between more expensive rangefinders and cheaper ones are usually in the optics, quality of glass used, etc. As far as accuracy goes, two different articles that I read said that there is virtually now difference when expensive and less expensive models were tested.

As far as fletching goes, buy a quality jig like a Bitzenburger, don't buy a plastic jig, I had an EZ-fletch and broke an arm off . Spend the money on a quality metal jig. I use Loctite Super Glue gel, much cheaper than "Fletching specific" glues and it works great $2 or less per bottle vs. $6 and up, and it's the same glue. Don't overkill the amount of glue, a minimal amount is needed. This glue works great. I use an old rapala filet knife to remove fletch and glue, then clean the shaft with Acetone until a paper towel comes out clean. Let it dry thoroughly before fletching.

i can't afford a rangefinder right now so i measure distances off from the bottom of my tree and out to the maximun distance (30-35 yards) i'm willing to shoot, then i'll mark it with a stick or a ribbon or whatever, makes it easier to tell if that deer is in range or not when the big moment comes.

Also, in relation to re-fletching, some mention they use rubbing alcohol/acetone...etc. I strongly suggest against using this on any carbon arrow as it will chemically break down the outer layers of carbon fibers. When fletching aluminums I will use an alcohol to clean the greases off the arrows surface, unfortunately carbons are a completely different shaft. I also use cheaper super glues as they will do the same job as your more expensive glues. In my last 10 years of shooting I have not lost any fletching yet and I average over 1000 arrows per week.