• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gopher Hockey

PierBridge

Kangas is the sole reason they went on that run last year and this year he has not been playing very good. That and their defense is weak. I doubt you'll see them at the X-cel this year, but we never know. Be interesting to see the crowds that actually show up if they don't make it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey wingnut,

It's still so close and the Huskies have been inconsistent so home ice would be nice but they do need at least 2 wins. I'd like to see the Huskies make it to the FF just for the young guys to get some experience.

Shorelunch,

I agree great teams lose recruits but the Gophs were holding on to some great ones when they were winning NCAA titles. I think guys like Grant Potulny, Leopold, Paul Martin, John Pohl help a lot at bringing the young kids along. Trust me, I coach hockey and I know the importance of grinders. I also think you need to get a little lucky and have a great player or two stay until they are at least a junior.

Kangas is the sole reason they went on that run last year and this year he has not been playing very good. That and their defense is weak. I doubt you'll see them at the X-cel this year, but we never know. Be interesting to see the crowds that actually show up if they don't make it.

Too many big rebounds and his D-men haven't helped with the gross amount of blatant turnovers.

Good Stuff guys!

I wish I was as optimistic as you some of you. I agree with Otter our overall defensive system is no-where near what it was last year. Yes Kangas has been disappointing but to blame him for our WORST season since Woogs last year is a bit un-fair. We'll call this season the "ODD man rush" as in 3 on 1's all season long!..DOAH!

Again I see no chance to win our first round WCHA play-off series...season over.

Next year is a big year for Lucia and the Gophers "dean blais"... grin

hey wingnut,

It's still so close and the Huskies have been inconsistent so home ice would be nice but they do need at least 2 wins. I'd like to see the Huskies make it to the FF just for the young guys to get some experience.

Shorelunch,

I agree great teams lose recruits but the Gophs were holding on to some great ones when they were winning NCAA titles. I think guys like Grant Potulny, Leopold, Paul Martin, John Pohl help a lot at bringing the young kids along. Trust me, I coach hockey and I know the importance of grinders. I also think you need to get a little lucky and have a great player or two stay until they are at least a junior.

That is a big party of it, if you can hold on to some guys into their junior and sr year that is a big help. What hurts is when have a lot of borderline NHLers make the jump early. Now if a kid is ready I can't fault them for chasing their dream or even taking the money when they get a chance, I would probably do the same thing in their shoes. But for ever Vanik, Kessel, Parise & Towes (even they struggled the first year or two) there are 10 guys that jump early and never get more than a cup of coffee in the NHL. I wonder how many guys who wished they could go back and play their jr or sr year.

Good Stuff guys!

We'll call this season the "ODD man rush" as in 3 on 1's all season long!..DOAH!

You hit the nail on the head with this one, I have never seen so many odd man rushes against us. I'd even say we have seen more this year then the past 2-3 years combined.

I also cringe every time there is a loose puck in front of the net. Too many guys standing around playing the puck when they should be laying people out

I also think Lucia's "illness" has not helped the team. I mean your coach isn't at practice and let's not forget that his kid also plays on the team. Hockey is a game, it's not life.

Gophers have some good young talent and will be fine. You guys are only 6 years removed from a National title and complaining. I'm still waiting for my team to win one stinking NCAA game for cripes sake!!!

Just kind of interesting that currently no MN team is above 5th in the conference.

The reason Kangas was so effective last season down the stretch is because that team had little to no offense. This years team started the year on fire in terms of offense and I think that covered up for some of the defensive lapses. Last year they knew they couldn't play in shootout type games so they played a more defensive approach(for lack of a better term as I am no hockey genius, just a huge fan). The defense was always collapsed around Kangas which made everything easier on him. Now this year when the offense has been failing as of late or fighting from behind, that results in defensive breakdowns that are making Kangas look bad, in my opinion. He has been playing poorly, don't get me wrong, but defensive breakdowns are hard on a goalie. Again, I am not a hockey mind by any stretch of the imagination, but that's how I have seen it this year and I don't think the Kangas critcism is totally warranted.

Hey archerystud, The frustration by Gopher fans about no natl' title after only six years is called "Gopher Arrogance". I thought you might understand that by now. grin

Just to put you goofer fans at ease, I will break it down for you. Fret not. Your team is going to be fine for the future. This year is done. The future is still bright. The seniors have provided no leadership. You cannot win with RJ Anderson and Justin Bostrom doing nothing on and off the ice. Your juniors are character players and NEXT year will be the year. I am not sure why the junior class hasn't stepped up this year...

You cannot blame Lucia for this mess. You can't blame a fired assistant coach either. It is the players who play the game and the coaches can only do so much. Corrrect me if I am wrong. I predict the gophers to be very good next year with Barribal, Stoa, Carman, ect. leading the charge.

The future is bright gopher fans. Just not this year.

(GO SIOUX!)

Actually I heard a rumor that Stoa is being honored on Senior night....? I don't understand it, but he must have made his decision not to come back next year. But you are correct about this years seniors. Next year's seniors will be leaders off the ice, but I'm not sure they have the best on ice leadership. Plus, if Stoa really is gone and there is a definite possibility that Schoeder could be gone as well, how will Bariball fare without two top notch line mates?

Just to put you goofer fans at ease, I will break it down for you. Fret not. Your team is going to be fine for the future. This year is done. The future is still bright. The seniors have provided no leadership. You cannot win with RJ Anderson and Justin Bostrom doing nothing on and off the ice. Your juniors are character players and NEXT year will be the year. I am not sure why the junior class hasn't stepped up this year...

You cannot blame Lucia for this mess. You can't blame a fired assistant coach either. It is the players who play the game and the coaches can only do so much. Corrrect me if I am wrong. I predict the gophers to be very good next year with Barribal, Stoa, Carman, ect. leading the charge.

The future is bright gopher fans. Just not this year.

(GO SIOUX!)

NO doubt things aren't that bad, we have been spoiled and a couple of bad by our standards years might put things into perspective. Looking back its been a great decade that isn't over yet and we could still make some noise. Next years team does look good and there are plenty of great recruits lined up.

I also agree that the coaches can only do so much, the players have to be help accountable for this extended period of poor play.

Lets hope so, it would be nice to have him back next year.

Now I am no expert so take this with a grain of salt but does anyone want to see the lines mixed up a little? Hoeffel has been great the 2nd half, it might be interesting to see him and Schroeder on the 2nd line and Carmen on the top line. Spread out the scoring a little and have two dangerous lines instead of one stacked line.

Just kind of interesting that currently no MN team is above 5th in the conference.

That is interesting .... I think we have too many D.1 Hockey Schools in the state. What are there 5 teams now? Do you think we're getting to watered down for the available MN talent. I know one thing it's a huge advantage to recruit Canadian players. I think that's why teams like North Dakota and Michigan are so successful year to year, they get the good High-schoolers plus the Canadian and outstate Jr players...

Lets hope so, it would be nice to have him back next year.

Now I am no expert so take this with a grain of salt but does anyone want to see the lines mixed up a little? Hoeffel has been great the 2nd half, it might be interesting to see him and Schroeder on the 2nd line and Carmen on the top line. Spread out the scoring a little and have two dangerous lines instead of one stacked line.

That would be interesting but I don't think they will change any of the lines this far into the season, at least not the top line.

On thing they will change apprently is goalies.....Kent Patterson is getting the start over Kangas tonight.

I just got back from the game and yes we FINALLY Won...."shocked"

It was a typically played Gopher game of late. We dominated in the 1st and then UMD totally took over the game. They rallied from a 2-0 deficit and went up 3-2. Not sure how we pulled it but we did!!!!

I wonder who starts in Goal next weekend..... Kangas looked a bit lost out there at times to be truthful.. I didn't see Fridays game live but it looked like Patterson was much quicker and confident than Kangas looked tonight.

Go Gophers!

Kangas is slow on his feet! I was not happy to see him in net in last night's game, Patterson looked great in goal on Friday night and thought he was gonna get the start Last night as well. When I saw the first goal, I started yellin' at the TV at Kangas, but that didn't do any good. smile

at least we got a win, hopefully a sweep this weekend and pick up 4 points! and maybe home ice in the first round as well!

I didn't see the Friday night game either, but I heard Patterson didn't look totally impressive. That was a great game to be at last night! It had such a "here we go again" feeling to it after Duluth's third goal. I honestly can't believe the Gophers had a come from behind win in the third period! Gotta get three at the very least @Tech. Or at least match what tUMD and Cloud do next week, but they need wins if they wanna make the NCAA's. It's still do-able.