• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how much trimming do you do around stands?

bigbucks

This is something that I'm kind of picky about & people's opinions seem to vary a lot about, so I'm curious what others do.

Personally I'm going to have usually 2-3 lanes I can shoot through anywhere the cover isn't horribly thick & my permanents that I use with any regularity I'll carve them out even if it is thick, maybe 10' wide. In the stand itself I try to leave any branches I don't fee will significantly impair shots, but anything in the stand that my arms, head, or bow might bump or sticking out to shoot around is pretty much gone. I've seen other people's stands where there's about one tiny opening the deer would have to stop in to get a shot & that makes no sense to me.

So what do you guys do?

Sine I only hunt out of portable stands I dont normally do to much trimming. If I am going to hunt in the same area/tree more than once I usually will do a little. Most of the areas I hunt are not super thick hince not requiring much maintenance. But, I do make sure that I have a least 2 lanes to shoot where I think the deer will be comming from

Matt

yeah, 2-3 decent lanes is about what i do. i've also had deer come in from no where, not on a trail at all. it's interesting trying to prepare for that unexpected shot. i typically hunt out of pines, and use branches to hide my stand and myself. that way, you can hunt in more open territory.
-perch

popple trees usually need very little trimming, thats what i usually hunt out of. i have hunted from oaks which are hard to do much trimming because the branches are so big.
i try to leave as much branches on as possible. more cover is nice if you do any moving to break up your outline. i guess its all personal preferance. if you are worried about movement the best thing would be is a blind around your stand if its permanent. but moving a stand often make that idea a pig pain in the rear.

------------------
this is just my 2 cents
Pooh

I do a lot of trimming, both on the tree and on the ground. I've had a couple of experiences where I couldn't get a shot because of branches impeding my bow. Also gut shot a buck one time when he walked too fast thru my small opening so now I do a lot of trimming. I also try to have my stands up by opening day, so deer get used to the trimmed branches.