• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pressured Deer Feeding Patterns

During let's say rifle season, once pressured, do you feel the deer feed less with more intensity once in the field and do you think some can lean on the fat reserves they have already started, or is it more of a nightime feeding affair ? Can they fill that stomach up and go a day or 2 maybe pending temperatures, I would assume the colder the more they need to feed.

Most of the deer feeding in a feild after pressured will be afterdark but deer still have to eat. However deer will still move during day light but they may only move a few feet just to strech go potty and nibble on browse they dont have to go to the feild to fill their stomachs but the feild is probably their prefered food source if it gets really cold then you should notice more day time activity the deer will try to conserve energy by moveing during the warmer parts of the day and bedding during the colder parts.

I think it depends on the amount of pressure on the deer.

I have two properties I gun hunt on. One has a ton of pressure around it so after the first two days I don't see much for deer movement. The second property has much better cover and is more secluded. Later in the gun season I still have deer walking out in the daylight on this property. The two properties are only about 5 miles apart.

I think they still feed but when they feed is dependent on the amount of pressure they have.

Right on, I have heard much about when it gets really cold they come out earlier to fill up, but I haven't noticed any of this. The coldest times of this year scouting my cornfields there were zero deer in them before dark. Now recently, since our Jan. thaw, I've seen quite a few out before dark. I think some might have to do with where the food source is, closer to roads/snowmobile areas etc., they come out later, further off the road I would think they'd come out earlier with less to be concerned about. I don't know, our state is diverse, what holds true in one area certainly doesn't cast a blanket statement on other parts of MN.