• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting a new bow and have ????'s

woody1975

I am going to get a new bow - Have looked at and messed around with a bunch. Have decided to go with the Bear Truth 2. My question is what sights and rest do you recommend and why? I have heard a lot about the drop aways and my brother had one that he never said anything bad about, but I am also hearing a lot about the Biscuits - A lot of good and bad here too. I am not too concerned about speed, the bow is fast enough, but the noise factor scares me a little. How about sights? I have used the Tru-Glo all metal sights with good luck, but now I want to make sure that there isn't something better I should look at.

Thanks

DL

For sights I personally have the Copper John Deadnuts Hunter 2 pro sight durable and bright fiber optics. Spott Hogg sights are really nice sights also but a little spendy for me. For a rest I use the QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD a great drop away rest that has performed flawlessly. Another good one is the Ripcord.

I went with a Whisker Bisquit and a Tru Glow 5 pin sight but I haven't bow hunted prior to last year. Now that I have confidence I got a Trophy Ridge Xtreme. Gives me the confidence to having it enclosed but the joy of Drop away rest. It would be something to take a look at. I am switching sights right now and ordered on from Scheels. I ordered an Armortech Axcel. It's brand new this year but it's a micro adjust sight. I was looking at that one or the Spot Hogg sight. See what you think.

So many choices....

Find a good, solid site with bright pins and you'll likely be happy with it.

IMO most drop-aways are a much better idea than the WB as long as it is a full containment model. The Ripcord is probably as good as any.

Don't get too caught up in the brand names. Lot's of good options out there right now and you can but certainly don't need to spend a lot of money on them.

for a rest like the others have stated QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD. Full containment so you get the benifits of a bisket withought the fletching contact and possibly better groups, it helped mine when i switched from a bisket to the QAD. As for sights there is alot of good ones out there. Copper johns,Spott Hogg are some of the popular ones. I have an Apex nitrus and love it. Has a built in light that you can screw on for better pin visability in low light situations and also the sight has a built in alen wrench that you can unscrew for micro adjustments. thats a really nice feature and makes life simple.

The thing to watch for on any the sight is how good the fiber optic is protected its not fun getting to your tree and seeing all your fiber optics are broken. As long as their durable and you like how the operate. I have been using a 5 pin toxonics on my hunting bow for 3 years now never had a complaint with them very durable micro adjust its a very good sight

Good advice here, get the best you can afford and for what you are going to be using it for, stand-hunting, stalking, just target shooting, 3-d's.

Match to what your bow has for speed and the experience you have in shooting. If you are pretty new to archery you may want to stay with something totally enclosed for a rest and less pins for a sight.

I am using a Apex Atomic 6-pin sight and a simple 2 prong rest, looking at upgrading to a drop away this year.

I'm also upgrading my bow after 6 years. I'm going with the PSE Bow Madness bow for sight I'm going with the Copper John Deadnuts hunter 2, as far as rest I'm going with the Ripcord. i did quite a bit of research on these and I thought this was the best setup for me I'm planning on getting into 3D shoots also so I want speed

Up until last week I had a hoyt with Truglo 5 pin sight with the light attachment. I liked it so I kept it and put it on my sons new bow. Great sight for $50. On my new bow I went with the Copper John Dead Nuts 2 6 pin sight. Awesome sight! I just ordered the light attachment for it as well but has not came yet. I like the way this sight is set up and is easy to adjust.

I had a NAP true tune (2-prong) on my old bow and I never liked that rest. My arrow had a tendency to fall off when I went to let my bow down. I went with the QAD Ultra Rest Pro fully contained. Awesome rest and I looked at the ripcord along with the others as well. I really wanted a drop-away rest or I would have went with the biscuit as well. I am going to get my son a biscuit in the next couple weeks. I think that is a nice rest for the money.

I read all the reviews that I could find on cabelas archery talk and on bass pro on the sights and the rest so I had a good idea before I went to purchase. When you do it save yourself some headaches and have a pro shop set it up. They know what they are doing and do a great job. Have fun!

You simply wont find a better hunting rest than the wisker biscut, I slaped one of these on my mathews drenilin,Along with a cobra sureloc sidewinder sight,limbsaver stabilizer and fuse quiver. I am very happy with all this equip. And throw Easton axis arrows out there topped off with the Muzzy MX-4's. All this seams to be a deadly combination.

I would say that you really couldnt go wrong with either a whisker biscuit or a full containment dropaway like a ripcord or QAD. In my opinion i think both rests types are better than a prong rest. Another rest to look into would be Octanes new Hostage rest, it is supposed to be an inmprovement of a biscuit in which your fletchings dont make contact with the whiskers. I havent heard of anyone trying one but it looks like a good rest. Each rest has some advantages and disadvantages over the other so i guess you will just have to try a couple different ones and see what fits you the best.

OK I forgot to say why on my sight selection, The sureloc sight alows for micro tuneing with the twist of a dial. Plus I always had trouble with the target being out of focus or the sight pin. Never had both focused at the same time one would always be a tad blury.This has a slide ajustment whereyou can move the sight twards the target and I found a sweet spot in there that keeps the pin and target both focused at the same time. for me It alowed quicker target pick up and better over all shooting. 5" groups at 75 yards. Not that I will shoot that far at a deer but I do practice at far ranges because when I get inside 30 yards it seems like a piece of cake then. There are a ton of great ones out there but this one hepled solve that issue for me.

Thursday I got a phone call that my new sight was in was kinda sad cause wanted to shoot in Fargo last weekend but atleast it was in. Got it mounted and wow was it fun to shoot. Never had a rest this easy to adjust. Micro adjust is definately the way to go. I used to have a Tru Glo and I swear took more time getting things adjusted then shooting.

My advice...without a doubt get a drop away rest of some kind... And get sights that are easily adjustable, and remeber you get what you pay for..Ur getting a nice bow so you should set it up w/ good accessories,thats just my $.02

Thank You for all of the advice. It gave me a starting point on what to go out and try. I finally finished my set up and thought I would let you know what I came up with.

Bear Truth II

Extreme RT 900 sight - .019 pins are super bright - The only thing wrong with this sight is that it doesn't have micro-tune capabilities and now that I have it dialed in, really doesn't bother me at all.

Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest - This is an amazing rest, the only time it doesn't completely contain the arrow is if you held it upside down and I won't ever need to do that.

Sims Stabilizer - Seems to work just fine.

Meta Peep (5/16") Peep sight - This covers the sight perfectly and I have no problem seeing the sight window.

Kwikee Kwiver - It is just holding the arrows, so I didn't figure I needed to spend $60 on the top of the line quivers.

Carbon Extreme Maxima 350 arrows - These things fly nice. The bow is tuned to a T, now the only problem is that they are blowing through my target, so I will have to get a new target.

Pulling about 64#, I am getting about 285 fps, which is a lot faster than anything I have owned before. I am sure I could get 300 out of it if I tweeked it a bit, but I am happy with the set-up. The bow is smooth, quick, and accurate. As soon as I can get a picture, I will post it here.

Thanks again.

DL