• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

guides in Homer / Copper Landing Area

I am planning a trip right now for July 2nd through the 12th and I am thinking about getting wife on some fish. I am wondering if there are any recommendations for the following:

1- river guided trip for kings near Copper Landing

2- Butt fishing out of Homer

3- I also saw whale watching/fishing trip out of Seward with Alaska Salt Water Lodge. Has anyone used them before? I think that the wife might like this trip.

Any information would be very helpfull. The rest of the trip I plan on doing some hiking / combat fishing / Kayaking / rafting / visiting small towns. I am just trying to get a breath of it all while we are there.

Thanks for the help

If you have any places that you would recommend for fishing on my own for some salmon along the way from Seward to Homer that would be great also. I am up for anything at this point in time.

it's Cooper Landing:) And theres no king fishing that far upriver; you can fish reds @ the russian, or do driftboat charters out of Cooper for rainbows. For kings, you need to be down towards Soldotna, and for that, I'd move your trip back a couple weeks to hit the peak of the second run. Early July is kind of in between, there might not even be much for reds available, depending on how late the 1st run comes, or if the 2nd run shows up early. Tons of good butt charters out of Homor or Seward, in Homer the Captain Scott, Seward Crackerjack or Pro-fish-n-sea. There are a couple good sightseeing cruises out of Seward as well tyhat your wife might enjoy if she isn't into the butt fishing. As far as shore fishing on your own, again, I'd adjust the time frame to either earlier or later to hit the peak of either the 1st or 2 rn salmon runs.

I was in Alaska for my first and only time last Summer. Others may have more wide ranging experience to share with you. For sight seeing out of Seward we went out with Kenai Fjords tours. I think they all get some bucks ( I remember around $180.00 to $200.00 ea) for their tours but everyone that I spoke to was happy with their tours. We took the tour out to Holgate Glacier and saw every type of sea life imaginable on the way our and back. Even saw Orcas and Humpbacks right up close to the boat. For Halibut, we used Lucky Pierre Charters based on the referal of someone that had used them years back. Again , we were very happy with the day's fishing. If you decide to do a train excursion up to McKinely National Park (driving is not the way to go) I would not reccomend Princess Tours as they screwed up our room reservation, charged us extra to make it right, then would only offer a minimal token payment after we got home and I called their customer service dept. Holland Tours would be a much better choice.

Iceman

I head to Alaska every three years and strictly fish. I agree with Traveler that the 3rd week of July for the 2nd run of Reds and kings is great. I fish Coopers Landing for reds just below the camp area....you might have to wait in line at the camp grounds, but worth the wait. I have a friend of mine that has a permanent motor home parked their in the grounds. You can fish the campground side of the Russian or take the ferry across the otherside.

For kings, the Kenai is great, but if you want to access some great shore spots. I would try the Kasiloff River out of Soldotna...the kings range from 20-40 lbs and a lot smaller than the ones out of the Kenai, but a lot of fun and more consistant. Contact Ron at moose creek lodge out of Soldotna for a guided trip...he is kind of a bookie..he sets up guided trips for people with the areas best guides. Just google moose creek lodge and you will find out more information...he can set you up for a day or for a week with different guides in the area for different species.

For Halibut, I would not fish out of Homer unless you plan to sight see along the spit. I usually go out of deep creek area... ( between Soldotna and Homer )less time to get to our spots. Most boats out of Homer head to where we go and waste an hour or two to get to the same spots we fish. I usually go with a gentleman named Dan Blossom, He has nice boats and equipment, puts us on a lot of nice fish!

Good Luck and have fun

I also have gone out with Dan Blossom a few times as well! He does it right and as walleye stated, nice boat...he made it himself with some buddies during the winter months back in the day! He also doesn't screw around in the chicken fields either~