• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing a Portable in the Garage

Big A

Another vote for the RacorPro Heavy Lift. I just clean it out, wipe it off and make sure it dry before I fold it up. I then just crank it up to the ceiling and forget about it. If a mouse can get to it...he can have it.

IMG_0001.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never have too worry about mice anymore as I just by a real cheap portable in November then come about the middle of March or the last frozen day on the pond I just leave it and walk away it will either get stolen or usally drift too the eastern side of the lake and someone will aquire a fixer upper at no cost. I have no mice or storage problems during the summer.

Trolling, Trolling, Trolling Walleye.

I never have too worry about mice anymore as I just by a real cheap portable in November then come about the middle of March or the last frozen day on the pond I just leave it and walk away it will either get stolen or usally drift too the eastern side of the lake and someone will aquire a fixer upper at no cost. I have no mice or storage problems during the summer.

Trolling, Trolling, Trolling Walleye.

I hope your're kidding.

These are all reliable processes.

But Big A, I am familiar with the portable of which you speak. wink

Cut 4 square plywood hole covers and screw them to the outside of the floor with 1 inch drywall screws. Number them so you know where to refasten them next year.

When the case is closed, there is no opening the mice can fit in. Set it against a wall on short 2x4 blocks with some Decon mouse treats on either end. grin

You will be safe, my friend.........

this what i been doing is I got 2 bicycle lifts from some where. Both are rated for 100lbs. The only other thing is i put a tarp over and bungy it down tight. lift to the ceiling and wait for the water to get hard again.

Love my racor lift. I bought it a couple weeks ago off Amazon, installed it the day I received it. Trickiest part was getting the sled on the rack because the cables are not long enough to reach the floor in my garage due to the ceiling height. My 10 year old wasnt much help. :-)

Its up in the air, I can walk underneath it and have room to spare over my head so that is nice. Plus you could park a vehicle under it too, but I centered mine in the middle of the garage so it isnt directly over a vehicle.

I have a Racor and love it!! The cables don't reach my floor either, so the wife gets to "help" whether she likes it or not!! I have an SUV I park underneath it, however if you had a pickup truck, it might be about the perfect height for the bed.

I too have this lift mounted a bit over 9' off the floor, and it does not reach the floor either. Some guys have removed the cables, purchased the same size and type about 4' longer, and reinstalled them to give them extra reach to hit the floor. TIGHTEN UP THE CABLE CLAMPS THOROUGHLY!!! I just hacked up a small chain into 4) 20" sections, added 1 onto each cable, and lowered the rack to the floor that way. Much easier, and I couldn't raise it higher then the top of the cableends with the fishhouse on regardless, and it still is high enough to walk/drive under without issues.

OK, Capt Musky, let me get this straight... You don't like the handle, it pinches your hands, and it takes forever... but you don't want to get out the 1/2" drill? Do yourself a favor, and get it out. Believe me: You will not be disappointed in both how easy it goes up and how much time you will save doing so. I will recommend being very careful at the top because if you accidentally keep trying to turn it while it is maxed out and binding, it may all come crashing down on top of you.

I just hacked up a small chain into 4) 20" sections, added 1 onto each cable, and lowered the rack to the floor that way. Much easier, and I couldn't raise it higher then the top of the cableends with the fishhouse on regardless, and it still is high enough to walk/drive under without issues.

Great idea! May have to implement that! I have second Racor lift I will be installing in the near future.

OK, Capt Musky, let me get this straight... You don't like the handle, it pinches your hands, and it takes forever... but you don't want to get out the 1/2" drill? Do yourself a favor, and get it out. Believe me: You will not be disappointed in both how easy it goes up and how much time you will save doing so. I will recommend being very careful at the top because if you accidentally keep trying to turn it while it is maxed out and binding, it may all come crashing down on top of you.
I should have clarified. I was too lazy for the first run. I just installed it and put the house up. I haven't had it for the entire season.. I will definitely get the drill out next time. I always tinker with things to make them better or easier so i thought a larger wheel might improve the performance.

Time to resurrect this post as the ice starts to thin. Amazingly by 3/16 last year I had the house up and it was probably 60-70 degrees out.

"Put a Fork in it"

My Racor Heavy lift showed up today so I installed it and officially closed the ice season. Free shipping on the lift from Amazon.

full-18186-18678-img_0561.jpg

full-18186-18677-img_0562.jpg