• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

jigging cats

Gordie

a few years back I thought that I would try something differnt than the norm. I thought that instead of setting up in front of a snag with the typical set up such as hook barrelswivel and sinker I would try and place a jig rigged up with bait. I picked up a couple of those big heavy salt water jigs with about 1-2 oz head the kind they use for sail fish its got a long shank hook and a very stout hook. My thinking is that when a flat comes out of the snag grabs the bait then runs back to cover and the first thing (ussally)that happens is you get snaged up. with the jig method you can get closer to the snag and drop down in front of it and when the cat hits set the hook. I have tried this and it does work but havent pounded a big cat yet. I do not do enough of this type of fishing. I have also caught smaller flats jigging around and in the holes of bigger snags on the riv. I do this with a time limit guess I'm looking for the acctive fish.

I have also had thoughts of useing down riggers to possition bait in front snags and in the deep holes in the river. Thinking that no sinker to get snagged up on any thing or bait placement in deep holes would be better. I just cant get myself to try the downriggers thou.

these are the things that I think up during a night of fishing or on the off season. oh well maybe I should just stick to the KISS theroy.

I don't like fishing too close to heavy wood snags but I've caught many cats by "jigging" over the side of a boat. I don't use a regular jig but still , its just a vertical presentation kept slightly off the bottom. This would obviously work best in deeper water. I love it when your holding the rod as the fish grabs the bait and takes line.

Downriggers used from an anchored position in current would work great in some situations and I have been wanting to try it for awhile. I think the line popping out of the clip near the cannon ball and the rod staying bent over would be sweet!...Just like salmon grin

Thats a good idea ed...thinking your gonna make me check for a Do-It mold; I know theres alot of variables to this...but how big bullet do you run? I have an issue with casting too far into cover; friggn pavlovian twitch in my fat...its like I cant help it. This might solve that issue.