• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Questions About and How To Purchase a Surplus Tag

Jack The Ripped

I did not get drawn for a Turkey Tag this spring. I noticed that an area I was also thinking of putting in for now has less then (5) listed on the “Surplus List”. I understand at 5:00 PM on March 16th this takes place, So to purchase a surplus tag for this area (or any area) does a guy just line up at any ELS licenses sales counter and wait?

So my questions are:

A. Does this become similar to lining up for concert tickets that are really hard to get?

B. Do people start lining up hours before the 5:00 PM start time?

C. Because I did not draw my preferred tag area but plan to purchase a surplus tag do I lose my preference point towards next years tag?

Thanks you’re your help

from my experiences with surplus tags in the past

A. YES except instead of band groupies its turkey groupies

B. YES the last time I did it there was 20 people in front of me and the first guy had been hanging around since noon

C. I'm not possitive but I do not think it affects your preference rating

A and B) Yes. I see you're in the north metro. I lined up for 2 hours and was 25th in line at Joe's Sporting Goods one year (they hand out numbers). Took me about 15 minutes before I got my chance to roll the dice. I heard Gander Mountain starts lining people up at like noon.

C)You do not lose your preference point.

My advice is to go find a little mom and pop store or a gas station with a little-used ELS. Talk to the manager now that you want to apply for surplus tags. They might know when they will line people up and/or give out numbers.

Da-Chise31 has good advice. Look for small mom and pop places. For instance I had to work late on the surplus sales date last spring. I hit a Holiday station store in Milaca at about 4:4o pm and was the firs tin line. Had my permit by 5:01 pm. If you in a metro area you may want to show up earlier even at a mom and pop place.

Dito what everyone says.Find out who has the Els machines I know hardware stores ,Walmarts ,Fleetfarm.A lot of these places started a # system so if you get there early grab the # and you can leave and come back and still have your spot in line.

Do you guys know if you had to apply for the lottery in order to buy a surplus permit? I didn't get drawn up at the inlaws but I have a buddy that wants to go but didn't apply. I see there's a surplus tag where I bowhunted deer last fall and saw a ton of turks.

This is straight from the regulation book:

"Under-subscribed wild turkey permits will be offered to hunters who applied in the computer preference lottery but were not successful."

If you are a bowhunter, the last two hunt periods are open to bowhunting. The tags are over the counter are are good in any area where at least 50 tags are available per time period.

Yes, he would have needed to apply in the lottery in order to be eligible for a surplus tag.

As long as there is 50 available tags in that area, he can purchase an arhcery license over the counter for either season G or H.

Yes, he would have needed to apply in the lottery in order to be eligible for a surplus tag.

Maybe your talking Bow Hunting but once the unsuccessful lottery applicants have had their chance anyone can try to buy a surplus tag. I thinks its about a week after the Monday 3/16/2009 date which is when the Lottery Hunters can try for a tag. You can track the surplus tags for your zone as they go out the door. Its a long shot but there is a chance.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzr.jpg

I believe that there is also a date where left over permits are available to those who did not take part in the lottery.

This is also from the regs. "Any remaining available licenses not purchased by unsuccessful applications may be issued to any eligible person on a first come, first serve basis."

It deosn't identify a timeline though. For some reason a week later stick in my head from last spring.

I assume it wise to have plan(Zone) "A", "B" & "C" ready to go mayabe even "D" & "E" when you get to the ELS counter??

First thing is to check the DNR's HSOforum for available Surplus tags. Most zones don't have any early season surplus tags available. I believe E and H are the seasons with the most available tags.

You can check out the Tags and whats available in your zone here.....click on the surplus list PDF link.

DNR.