• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lathe Question...

Ace

Hi all,

Thinking about tinkering with some rod building and lure making. I have access to a shop and such, have my own airbrush and paint, but what I would like to get into is turning my own rod handles and maybe some lures.

I don't know what kind of lathe I would need or anything, what size is adequate, what the limits are, etc. Just curious what some of you out there use...

Is there a size that is somewhat affordable($300 max?) that a guy could use for these applications, and maybe more turnings (bowls, calls, etc. I don't really know) if I got into it? Thanks!!

The variable speed Jet mini-lathe is a very good wood turning lathe that works well for many rod making tasks (you can get a bed extension for longer handle projects). Beside the lathe you'll need turning tools and a method for sharpening them, neither which are cheap. In fact, a chuck, some lathe supplies, sharpening gear and turning tools will run more than a small lathe. My self, I have a Oneway 2436 and it's an absolute joy for turning just about anything, but then again it's $6K which is probably a bit more than you're wanting to spend.

I use a big woodworking lathe, but that is because my uncle gave it to me. Put on a Jacob's chuck and I can turn the handle right on the threaded rod I glued it up with.

If you aren't sure if you really want on, you can also use a drill press if you have it.

Good luck!

lures and handles you can use just about any one out there. there is a ... BUT... though of course. if you want ease of use and just overall less headaches you should spend around 200 dollars or so. then you'll need tools. a gouge and skew for sure but you can get a set of 8 tools for ten bucks. not quality but they work. then a tool grinder with a wet wheel set-up. tools need continuous sharpening. i get all my power tools at Harbor Freight now. well, at least the one's i can get there. my latest 36'' by 12''lathe was on sale for 200, normally 289, and has a swivel head for turning bowls over 12''s. i'm happy with it. real smooth and the tool rest is awsome with the three way positioning, i use my little lathe, same place, for small stuff. getting started the right way to be honest is pretty steep, for quality equipment and accessories but once your going the cost is almost nothing really. except exotic wood and sandpaper of course. good luck and happy turning.

I bought a cheap grizzly and although I can make handles etc on it, I would not go that route. If all you ever figure to do is handles or other small pieces a mini would do fine. But that would limit you as to what you can do, 14X40 is pretty standard. You should be able to find a lathe that fits your needs pretty well for $300. There are multiple brands out there and I don't think as a hobbiest you need top of the line, but don't go the real econo route or your will regret it. Jet is one that many people are buying, but there are mid to up grade lathes by Grizzly, Craftsman, Harbor Freight out there too.