• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing both sides of LOW

Hi all...

I'm just curious what permits, license's one might need to fish on both the U.S. and Canadien areas of LOW? I've heard of such a thing as a remote border crossing permit, but I'm not sure what that is.

Example: Suppose I'm mooring my boat at a lodge on the U.S. side for the summer, and want to have flexible access to fish the Canadien waters? Do any of the U.S. Resorts/Guides do this daily?

Obviously I would need a Canadien angling license; I would want to have my passport on my person of course; I'm sure I would need to license my boat with Canadien authorities, etc. I think I heard that you can check in via marine radio when you cross the border?

Just curious to see if this is a reasonable possibility.

Thanks in advance.

Uffda, you'll need a lot of paperwork.

You'll need not only the RABC permit from Canada Border Services but also a permit from US Customs to get back into the US. My buddy has one and allows him to cross back in without clearing customs, otherwise you technically would need to clear US customs.

You will need a Canadian fishing license. You need to keep your fish total to the lowest limit allowed (Canada side is 2 daily for walleyes and suagers combined, and it doesn't matter where you say you caught them.)

You also can not have any live bait, except crawlers packed in paper. If you bring any minnows or leeches across into Canada you are illegal.

Speaking as someone who only fishes in Canada, I'd say stay on the US side!! Just kidding, but it won't be easy.

You might want to inquire to some folks up in Angle Inlet/Oak Island as they do it quite often.

I'm not sure it's quite as hard as Wild Thing is leading on to...I think anyone who fishes Canada, wants less people....me included.

Checking into Canada daily is no big deal. Depending on where you are staying at the NW Angle. If you are on mainland, then you check in at Jerry's, if you are at Oak Island, then you check in at Cyclone Island. Or you can get a remote border crossing permit, they are very easy, once you've got one.

Either way, you pick up a phone at one of these booths, and within a couple minutes you are connected and they ask you all the regular questions.

You can bring minnows, as long as you drown them first. Checking backin into the US, well, ask your resort people about that one.

Hemlock,

I assumed he was coming from Baudette and that hitting the Angle on every trip would be a fairly big inconvenience if not impossible. That way he would absolutely need the US crossing permit because there is no place to check in on the rest of the lake.

I have friends who do it and it is a very big hassle UNLESS the person stays overnight in Canada on each trip.

I assumed he was talking day trips, coming and going, with no stay and no check-in. It really is not easy to be legal doing that.

FYI

Stay in Minnesota!!!!

(Just kidding)

Sorry Wild Thing, didn't mean to butt in there. All I'm saying is that I don't think people coming back to the Angle after a day in Canada do too much to check back in to the US. Just from what I've seen.

So if it's a matter of a day trip from the angle, it's either an RABC or a phone check in. Fairly straight forward, unless there are other circumstances.

I have been pretty interested in a trip that involves heading around the whole lake for a few years now. A guy could pack a good size cooler and a tent and start anywhere and head to Sioux narrows, then to Kenora, then over to the angle, then hit the big water, cut back into Canada - I'm thinking a great 4/5 day trip!

I do realize it would take some paperwork but I think it could be done!

As Hemlock stated going into Canadian can be done by either calling in at Young's Bay or Cyclone Island or getting a RABC permit.

It seems that the requirements coming back into the US change yearly. Two years ago you were required to check back in at the phones or you could call in by cell if you had an I-39 form. I believe last year you didn't have to call in if you stayed on the water. Haven't checked this year's requirements.

Dirtking, that would be an awesome trip. If you did it in the spring, you could catch lakers around Sioux Narrows when they are up shallow, as would the walleyes on other corners of the lake. Ice, bait, groceries available in SN and Kenora, as well as the angle. Totally do=able.

As Hemlock stated going into Canadian can be done by either calling in at Young's Bay or Cyclone Island or getting a RABC permit.

It seems that the requirements coming back into the US change yearly. Two years ago you were required to check back in at the phones or you could call in by cell if you had an I-39 form. I believe last year you didn't have to call in if you stayed on the water. Haven't checked this year's requirements.

That is correct. Last year you did not have to check in as long as you never touched land in Canada.