• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice House Confiscation?

eyeballs

I would assume they haul them to the dump. In the rare case that it's a decent house it probably goes to auction. You should try calling the DNR and see if you can work out a deal where you take the house off for them in return for being able to keep it. Everybody wins.

On a side note, with the rain/melt and re-refreeze issues we've had this year I would think there is going to be more abandonded than usual.

I live on South Long in Brainerd and in early December I saw a younger guy bring out a 4x8 spear house. A week later high winds knocked it on it's side and it sat like that until I went out and dug it out of the ice a few days ago when it was 40 degrees.

I pulled it back to my shoreline and if the guy doesn't come to claim it, I guess I'm keepin' her.

There was a name painted on it but most of it washed and smeared off so you can't read it. No shelter license either.

Why would a guy set a fish house out and never come back to use it?? Maybe he's in jail or dead?? Pretty weird!

I live on South Long in Brainerd and in early December I saw a younger guy bring out a 4x8 spear house. A week later high winds knocked it on it's side and it sat like that until I went out and dug it out of the ice a few days ago when it was 40 degrees.

I pulled it back to my shoreline and if the guy doesn't come to claim it, I guess I'm keepin' her.

There was a name painted on it but most of it washed and smeared off so you can't read it. No shelter license either.

Why would a guy set a fish house out and never come back to use it?? Maybe he's in jail or dead?? Pretty weird!

You probably saved him a ticket.

I had one years ago that was froze in the ice. I worked at it for 3-4 evenings and finally got it off the ice the last day and left it at the landing until the next day when I was going to return and pick it up.

I went back the next day in the afternoon and the house was gone. In approx 2 weeks, I recieved a letter from the area fisheries dept that they had my house. I stored it there all winter and picked it up that next spring when the snow was gone. the fine was $25.00 and they also fixed my gas line to the heater.

I ended up darn good on that one.

Saw an article about abandoned fish houses on Tonka a while back. When the DNR guys saw one that was in rough shape, and might be a candidate for leaving or burning, they took pictures of it and got its GPS coordinates. If it was left there or burned, the owner got ticketed and had to pay the hauling or cleanup. Years ago, a gallon of gas and a match was a common way to get rid of old fish houses. Especially the frozen in ones.

I had a lazy freind once who had a 8x12 wheelhouse and he decided just to pull it close to shore instead of home at the end of the season, as he was flying out to mexico the next day for a week. he got back,waited awhile longer then decided to go get it. Fishouse was gone. He told me he got a letter from the DNR saying it was going to auction.