• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

just bought a savage model 110 30-06

Got one in a 270win from a deal my dad and brother came across a few years back for one of my kids. Was a bit unsure about the gun but for the price couldn't turn it down.

Didn't shoot it for years till my second of 5 kids started deer hunting last year. Took it out to the range with an old cheap scope I mounted on it myself. Don't like cheap scopes but it was an old one from an old gun of my dads so gave it a go. And I'll be darned that gun shoots straight. Thing that really ticks me off about it vs the other guns is it doesn't seem to be to finicky about what ammo I shoot through it. Groupings where good with any thing I shot through it. Wish I could say that about my rifle. She only seems to like Horandy 150gr bullets.

I've always been a proponent of Savage rifles. Years ago they were scuffed at because of the plain jane stocks and thought of as cheap stuff. Well, lemme tell ya, they are a great gun for a great price and they are American made. Don't get offended but, I'd pick up one over any of those overly priced foreign made ones. I'm sure you are gonna like it.

first gun was a 110 in 243. then i bought a 111 in 270. between my dad, brother and i we got 4 of em. and have nothing but good to say about em. they shoot straight, a beating and keep shooting straight.

I bought a brand new model 110 30-06 in 1998 and it has done very well for me. Each hunting season when it goes in to be sighted, it is where it was the year before and continues to have a consistent pattern. It has been well worth the 300 bucks I paid for it back in high school.

I bought a savage 111 in '98 as well in .300 Win Mag and a few days later I picked up a Rem 700 Bdl. Same calibur. I just like the .300 Win but it is nothing but a slightly swifter 30-06. The fit and finish on the Remington 700 bdl is way better but the Savage shoots way better. The Savage cost about $500 Canadian at the time and I put a $650 Leopold scope on it. It'll shoot better than I can. Both guns have killed a fair number of moose but all my buddies always want to borrow my Savage.

30-06 was adopted by the US Army in 1906 and it was produced in the Springfield Armoury. It had several years of R&D prior to that. The .30.30 was produced much earlier in that it was 30 calibure with the equivilant of 30 grains of black powder. .30.30 was one of the very first cartidges to use smokeless powder. The 30-06 was the standard battle cartridge of the US Army until 1957. The .303 Brit was the most popular battle cartridge in the world until the AK-47 came along.