• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappies on Chubby Darters?

Blainebob

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is different but I took a chubby darter to the Florida Keys and the French Grunts just hammered them, they are 8-12 inch long fight hard. Got tired of unhooking as they hit so hard had to get the rear treble out of their mouths. When I do again I will try a single hook.

you got a good selection of darters there. I've had decent luck for eyes but not crappies. I tried all kinds of jigging methods and no go for the crappies and i've been on some really good bites. If you dont mind saying what was a good jigging method.

Try a #3 or #4, jig them in, and tease them up. Fish that fallow up will tend to hit, the lookers will leave. If all they want to do it look...as far as I care they can leave..and come back when they are in a more friendly mood...I want Hookers not Lookers.

I jig relatively aggressively tell I see fish on the Vex, than I lift another foot and make 1 POP....pause for it to settle...see who fallows.....tiny quivers set the Chubby to side wobbling...pause....nothing..... add another POP and drop.

The fish have to tell you what they want. Each outing is often different. Could be aggressive, could be easy does it...never know. But getting them to fallow up is nearly always the key to drawing the strike.

Perch...now they like seeing a bit of dust and commotion on the bottom...beat the bottom...Snap jig up....allow the jig to settle up 6" to a foot off...and see if they respond. Big perch come up and take it away from the little guys. If they are loners...it takes more meat and finesse at times to get them to go.

Walleye...I'm all about aggressive 90% of the time. Call them in.....lure them up...set the hook. They can chase a Chubby up a long ways, and the higher they chase the hotter they get..that's a hoot!