• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MotorGuide Trolling moters

croixflats

OK, I'm done dealing with my minmkota its only 3years old and I have replaced the foot pedal 2 times and I have to replace it again.

I am looking at at MotorGuide now and the digital wireless looks like it will do the job.

So what are experiences with MotorGiude out there.

I'm not looking for anyone telling me that Minnkota had no problems I can make my own judgment off the last 2 I had.

Woops sorry meant for this to go in open water.

I have had a motorguide 109 ptsv, hated the thing with a passion. Noisy, to many things to mention gone wrong. I bought a terrova and have had not a problem . I had several minnkota in the past but hands down the issues I have had with the motorguide were far greater than all of my minnkota problems.

With the PTS your asking for troubles.But when they work there isnt a better trollingmotor period.But,alas that much tech in something that sits on the bow of a boat is bound to break eventually.Motor guide makes some pretty solid stuff as well as minnkota.I like the motors that just have basic functions,keeping things simple on the bow can save on headaches on the water.

Get the Terrova , sweet motor and better pedel. I went through 3 in 18 months on my PD to untill they figured out it was the board causimg my problem. replaced that and now on the same foot pad for 2 years. Next will be a Terrova, I have had a few MG in the past and IMO worthless.

That is a good point Croixeyes. I'll keep that in mind.I just wish Minnkota would offer a differant foot pedal. Gets rather frustrating getting on the water and the trolling motor wont work because of something simple like a foot pedal.

Do you have the power drive type pedal on a long cord? I have had these and had no issues but I must say the cable style with the big pedal, like on a maxxum, are really problem free.

I have a Motorguide Wireless W45 that i have had no problems with. I bought it last winter, and it was a display model with no remotes. I bought a foot pedal and a hand remote off that ever so popular online auction site. I really like the wireless units, i can go anywhere in the boat and i always have the remote on my belt. And if there is somebody else in the boat, they get the footpedal incase i am fighting a fish, or if i feel like not paying attention.

I've had 4 or 5 motorguides, the only one I didn't have major problems with was a transom mount tiller motor. The bow mount motors all had problems, some in the first month or two after I had them. Very frustrating. To be fair it's been quite a few years since I had MGs, but I know of guys that had problems with them last year. FWIW.

I've been running Motor Guides for more years than I want to think about. And most of you know how much time I spend on the water. The only problems I've had is the wear on the rope handle. Otherwise they have worked great and the new Hydrilla Hacker prop is a great improvement for the bass guys. Also if a metro angler is looking for a used motor you can sometimes get a great deal on used or rebuilt motors at the motor clinic in bloomington. I all depends on what they have taken in.

Everyone I know runs Minnkota with no problems or complaints. The one experience I have had with Motor Guide is very bad. We went to Canada last summer with a friends parents. They had a Motor Guide on their 21' Lund and the switch in the foot pedal kept going out. They kept exchanging trolling motors and replacing switches. If I remember right they ended up switching to a Minnkota.

Dewyg mentioned the terrova, I yook a look at that one now that looks like a sweet set up. When I bought mine it was just before all this new stuff came out like auto pilot and palm pilot for the power drive.

I think by stepping up I can get away from the power guide foot pedal and get the feature of auto pilot.

So beware perchjerker be calling you this spring. Gotta get an onboard charger also.

Croix, for my two cents, I had 1 motorguide, nothing but problems. I was lucky enough to be at a resort who had motorguides, in the shed, because all but one was broken, so they gave me parts to get through the rest of the week. As for minnkota, you could try the co pilot instead of the foot pedal, I have it and love the option.

If I remember right I checked into with what you suggested( good suggestion) last year and the model I had would not except the co pilot but the model introduced later that year did, go figure timing is key with this technology stuff.

The more I think about the auto pilot and co pilot combo is a good up grade. Been many times messing with something in the boat and get of course.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this.

My boat came with bow mount MG and I hate it. It is the older model, not the new digital series. Can't go thru any weeds w/o clogging and getting inside the prop. First year I had it it broke down during a vacation. Dealer replaced the head. Seems like I've always had issues with the power settings. Power wouldn't be constant at one setting. Now I'm going to be looking at a MK to replace it.