• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikings on the Move!

bassNspear

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would've supported a stadium if both the Twins and Vikings were using the same venue.

Heck, let's put the Wild outside while we're at it. Hockey is a cold weather sport. Let's put the game back where it started.....ON AN OUTDOOR RINK.

I personally hope they build a stadium. Would be nice If Ziggy would kick in quite a bit. The bottom line is there is more than just a stadium on the line here. There are a lot of jobs on the line with the team. All of the revenue that they bring in and the taxes that they bring in. Losing the Vikes would hurt a lot more that just the sports fans.
How many years would it take for their taxes they pay to the state to repay the $350.000.000 ,if not more, we give them. They leave something else will take place where they were. These stadiums only benefit the cities and any other residual run off the state gets is minimum at best. How does it benefit the guy up in Ely or the guy in worthington or even me. Why should rural communities subsidies something that in noway benefits them

It's called being a fan. People all over this state are Viking fans...not just the metro. I'm from an outstate area and I wouldn't mind chipping in my 2 cents. I'm a fan, I look forward to the Vikes playing on Sunday afternoons. So do lot's of people. Drive around some time from noon--3pm on Sunday afternoons in the fall...hardly anybody out on the roads at this time. Thousands of jobs and millions of dollars would be lost if the Vikes leave town. Tell me how we're going to replace that.

If the Vikings did leave for LA for some reason which I don't think they will, I would not be a diehard Vikes fan anymore and I don't have anyother team I like, and the funny thing is if they moved they would probably win the superbowl in the first season.

I hope they don't. My buddy had season tickets with one of his buddies who couldn't do it this year. I said I couldn't do the $750 for one seat for all 10 games, but could do half for five games. So I got one pre-season and four regualer season games out of the deal. I love going to the games and love watching the purple even if they break your heart all the time. I would really hate to see them go.

Originally Posted By: jigging-matt
I personally hope they build a stadium. Would be nice If Ziggy would kick in quite a bit. The bottom line is there is more than just a stadium on the line here. There are a lot of jobs on the line with the team. All of the revenue that they bring in and the taxes that they bring in. Losing the Vikes would hurt a lot more that just the sports fans.
How many years would it take for their taxes they pay to the state to repay the $350.000.000 ,if not more, we give them. They leave something else will take place where they were. These stadiums only benefit the cities and any other residual run off the state gets is minimum at best. How does it benefit the guy up in Ely or the guy in worthington or even me. Why should rural communities subsidies something that in noway benefits them

I have said this before. I don't know why the pro-stadium or anti-stadium people don't just put out a balance sheet on the money part of it. If it pays for itself, do it now. If it doesn't, it will be a tough pill to swallow in tough times. Being a St. Paul resident I will attest that there is alot going on downtown that would not be replaced if the Wild left. It would go back to being a ghost town after 5:00.

You forgot to ask about how much would come from other sources besides just the players income tax.

A list off the top of my head:

Income tax on all MN Vikings employees

Tax on all novelties sold throughout the state

Tax on teams income from those novelties

Tax on income from concessions

Tax on income made from parking

9% liquor tax on every beverage sold at the bars around the stadium and around the state that is consumed probably because they are at or watching the game

Taxes paid by those bars on that income

Tax on rental cars used by visiting players, fans, media, etc...

How much money is going in the pockets of cabbies toting around visiting fans and intoxicated locals?

Hotel tax over and above the sales tax

Tourist dollars at restaurants

Ticket taxes

Taxes paid by contractors, their employees, ect.. to build and then maintain the buildings.

Taxes paid on tickets, income, revenue and everything else that comes from concerts, tractor pulls, etc...

Anybody have anything I missed?

Originally Posted By: croixflats
Originally Posted By: jigging-matt

I have said this before. I don't know why the pro-stadium or anti-stadium people don't just put out a balance sheet on the money part of it. If it pays for itself, do it now. If it doesn't, it will be a tough pill to swallow in tough times. Being a St. Paul resident I will attest that there is alot going on downtown that would not be replaced if the Wild left. It would go back to being a ghost town after 5:00.

You forgot to ask about how much would come from other sources besides just the players income tax.

A list off the top of my head:

Income tax on all MN Vikings employees

Tax on all novelties sold throughout the state

Tax on teams income from those novelties

Tax on income from concessions

Tax on income made from parking

9% liquor tax on every beverage sold at the bars around the stadium and around the state that is consumed probably because they are at or watching the game

Taxes paid by those bars on that income

Tax on rental cars used by visiting players, fans, media, etc...

How much money is going in the pockets of cabbies toting around visiting fans and intoxicated locals?

Hotel tax over and above the sales tax

Tourist dollars at restaurants

Ticket taxes

Taxes paid by contractors, their employees, ect.. to build and then maintain the buildings.

Taxes paid on tickets, income, revenue and everything else that comes from concerts, tractor pulls, etc...

Anybody have anything I missed?

Wow when someone over reaches its done in a big way. I like that idea of a licsense plate you can buy to finance the stadium that way if a prson does not want contribute to this on going fleecing of the pro sports comunity then they dont have to or to subsidise companies in the big city then they dont have to.

How is it a reach? Are any of the taxes I mentioned not valid? I am not saying they are all big money but the point is a stadium generates money in alot of ways and it all adds up. Like I said, show me how the stadium does not pay for itself by putting numbers side by side and I would strongly consider switching my vote.

Quote:
Wow when someone over reaches its done in a big way. I like that idea of a licsense plate you can buy to finance the stadium that way if a prson does not want contribute to this on going fleecing of the pro sports comunity then they dont have to or to subsidise companies in the big city then they dont have to.

You don't want to subsidize companies in the big city? That's cool. Let's make a deal. We big city folk get to keep all our tax money in our big cities and not have it sent to you through the state and your community can keep its own tax money. Let's see what happens to the small communities in this state when there isn't a big city contribution to the state's coffers. There sure wouldn't be a whole lot to go around. I am not trying to make us city people heroes but I am saying that as far as the health of this state goes, we are all in this together.

Fishyguy, you hit it right on the head. Didn't overreach at all. People don't see all the good having the team does. I am a diehard fan, and don't live in the Twin Cities. I do try to go to one game year. The money from the Vikings/Twins/Wild helps the whole state.

You know I'm not trying to change your mind. I just don't agree and it is over reaching. Using alcohol sales as pitch the amount of alcohol consumed on a sunday from football is a drop in the bucket besides people find another reason to drink. Hey how about selling off sale on a sunday to off set it off the lost rather than having a traffic jam at the boarder grin

And about those novelties if they were not there that money would go some where else and still be revenue for the state. Everything is just about replaceable in time.

I'm a firm believer in when company leaves another takes its place and the community adjust to its surroundings (big cities that is). I am fed up with giving money to these franchises. Its entertainment and that's all it is it just cost the public more. With your reasoning why doesn't the state give Ford $350,000,000 for a new plant to be built in the same spot. We can be the new detroit. How many jobs were lost there and how much tax base was lost. You tell those working for Ford the Vikings are more important than them

I'll give you all something that is non-monitary. I work for Children's Hospitals. Now there are times (I never see them) that these atheletes come through and visit the children. I have heard what an impact they have to those suffering from a major illness. You can't put a price on that and it may not be worth a new stadium, but I think it's pretty cool. Some do a lot of good in the comunity as well.

I hear that pets can do the same thing wink What do they call them that go around with their pets to hospitals

"sympoyhy dogs" No I'm not trying to be funny.

Matter of fact I took my dog to a nursing home a couple of times last year and made the rounds with her. I was so proud how my dog helped brighten the day, not of me but how the dog new how to handle herself. It is a wonder what dogs can do for the sick and elderly. Will be doing it again shortly.

the vikes could have had there stadium in blaine it was all there the city even spent 20 million to upgrade the airport to handle the increased traffic from the exec planes the state was going to fund most of the project they told ziggy that he was going to have to pay for the roads that neede to be changed he backed out. I say let them go somewere else.why shoud we have to pay for them to make more money.. A jeez guys im a little short this month think some of you could give up some of yours so that I can have more.good bye and good ridence

How is it a reach? Are any of the taxes I mentioned not valid? I am not saying they are all big money but the point is a stadium generates money in alot of ways and it all adds up. Like I said, show me how the stadium does not pay for itself by putting numbers side by side and I would strongly consider switching my vote.

First off, I said earlier my first choice was to keep the Vikes but this is a stretch.

Most (not ALL) of the fans that attend the games are from instate. So let's say I take my family to a game and drop $200 on the day. You are correct and currently I would spend that money in Minneapolis around the Dome.

But now I have $200 less and don't go out to eat around my house or out to a bar by my house. So Minneapolis got a benefit but the businesses around my house took a hit. To me this isn't worth the price tag of a new stadium.

It would've supported a stadium if both the Twins and Vikings were using the same venue.

Heck, let's put the Wild outside while we're at it. Hockey is a cold weather sport. Let's put the game back where it started.....ON AN OUTDOOR RINK.

What outdoor ice? We don't have any around here anymore. Besides LEP I've seen you skate on outdoor ice. If the Wild moved as slow as you no one could watch it. grin

You know I'm not trying to change your mind. I just don't agree and it is over reaching. Using alcohol sales as pitch the amount of alcohol consumed on a sunday from football is a drop in the bucket besides people find another reason to drink. Hey how about selling off sale on a sunday to off set it off the lost rather than having a traffic jam at the boarder grin

And about those novelties if they were not there that money would go some where else and still be revenue for the state. Everything is just about replaceable in time.

I'm a firm believer in when company leaves another takes its place and the community adjust to its surroundings (big cities that is). I am fed up with giving money to these franchises. Its entertainment and that's all it is it just cost the public more. With your reasoning why doesn't the state give Ford $350,000,000 for a new plant to be built in the same spot. We can be the new detroit. How many jobs were lost there and how much tax base was lost. You tell those working for Ford the Vikings are more important than them

Why don't you ask the people of Detroit who's going to come in and be the next Ford/GM or Chrysler? It's a freaking ghost-town. Let's not forget about all the wages, tips, etc...that all the people earn while catering the Vikes crowd on Sunday as well. Sportsbars are packed statewide every Sunday afternoon in the fall. This is in addition to the taxes sent to the state.