• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vikings on the Move!

bassNspear

Had the day off, so I was watching Channel 5 news at 11 today, and they were taking that if the vikings dont get a new stadium passed by 2011, there going to be on the move.

There least ends at the dome in 2011, and there going to try and get a new stadium passed with our money to get it built!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya ya, blah blah blah. Same old story. IMHO there is WAY to much money in pro sports for the public to build stadiums.

Look at the Pohlad family, Carl, (RIP), was a billionaire, he could have built his own stadium, been an absolute hero in the MSP area and still had hundreds of millions left for his heirs. Maybe Ziggy could think about that.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Yeah,

let's just let the LA group making overtures, pick the Vikings up and have them win a Super Bowl there. cry

After all they provide no entertainment or value to our Minnesota economy, right.

I'm a huge Vikes fan, have been a season ticket holder, and would love to see them have their own stadium.

Having said that, now is absolutely not the right time to be demanding $700 million in tax payer money for a stadium.

I also believe the "threat" of moving to LA is nil. The Vikes better lay off going "all in" because they're going to get their bluff called.

The Vikings have screwed the pooch time and time again when it comes to the stadium (among other things). They had themselves a sweetheart of a deal in Anoka county, and they walked from it. I'm relatively neutral (neither for or against) when it comes to public financing, but there has to be a net gain (a real one) for the tax payers.

At the same time, the Wilf's could write a check for the stadium, and have a couple hundred million left in the bank. Just like Pohla....oh wait....we bought that stadium for him... Just like the Goph...oh wait....we bought that one too. But just like the Xce....oh wait...

They have zero chance this year, and even less of a chance next year.

There is no chance the Wilfs could right a check for 600 million and there wouldn't be any reason for them to do it anyway.

Now that being said I think the league should think about paying some of the stadium building expenses. Maybe take a small percentage of players contracts along with TV moneys. Of course that won't fly with the players attorneys.

UUmmmm, hate to break it to everyone but there are cities even now in these tough economic times that will build a stadium. That is how stadiums come about like it or not. You will not see the Wilfs fully fund a stadium when they could find a city that will do it. So basically either this state finds a way or else.....no 2 ways about it. Why should the league help fund the stadium? No other city has had to have them help. You can have your opinions on the situation, but that is sports and the state will have to fund a stadium to keep the vikings around.

I'm not opposed to using public money to fund stadiums. I think they're a valuable asset to Minneapolis and the state. But now is absolutely not the time to be asking for $700 million.

And can you name another city that will build a stadium? I certainly can't, nor have I read any other options other than LA. That's a very hollow threat the Vikes are trying to use.

As for the NFL helping fund a stadium, teams did get money to help build stadiums. Up to %150 million per team. That well apparently dried up a few years ago according to this article:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/02/SPG4MNTR7L7.DTL

The Vikes should bite their tongue, suck it up for a few years, and wait for the economy to turn around. Otherwise they risk looking as greedy as the banks and auto industry to the majority of the public.

Why not? It's not the ideal situation, but the way I see it that's their best option. A short term lease that shows legislators it's a stop-gap solution, not long-term. The MAC would hate it, and they'd posture, but ultimately they'd cave. What would they rather have, zero revenue from the Vikings after 2011 or revenue until 2014 or so?

If they plan on leaving in the next few years due to the lack of a stadium, they might as well start to pack. There is no money and the taxpayers will not stand for it at this tme. They now need to pay for another program and a stadium will not fit the bill.

I don't know why they could not have come to an agreement a year or two ago.

I do believe I will see pigs fly before the state builds them a stadium with taxpayer money. It would mean their job.

Well, I'll have to disagree. I think when push comes to shove they will get a stadium built. The Vikes mean too much to this state to just let them leave (and they will). I think they will get something going again, maybe in conjunction with Canterbury and the gaming industry. There are or will be more supporters out there for a new stadium than what is being shown now. Urgency hasn't quite reared it's head yet but it's getting close.

Yeah,

let's just let the LA group making overtures, pick the Vikings up and have them win a Super Bowl there. cry

After all they provide no entertainment or value to our Minnesota economy, right.

I agree with Rick. Believe it or not they generate a lot of revenue for the state. Frome sales to the taxes on the players income. I don't want to see them leave.