• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

was out shooting

I just read a great article in the April issue of Fur-Fish-Game, titled Black Powder Balancing Act; I think you'd find a lot of useful information in reading it.

Hope it helps you out.

Was out shooting my Knight the other day. I shot out at 50 yards first with 150 gr powder with a 260 gr Winchester Platinum tip bullet. I was like 2.5 inches high at this range which i was happy with so i jumped out to 100 yards and was barely hitting the top side of the paper. Just a standard size paper cuz i printed some targets of my PC. So i thought what would happen if I dropped the charge to 100 gr. I shot 3 more times and was quite surprised with my 1.75 inch group about an inch below the bullseye. This was shooting open sights by the way. Whenever i shoot I always have a good backstop and it was a regular shooting range so it was a sand pile. Just for the heck of it I wanted to see what the bullet looked like and was to my surprise I found one laying on top of the sand with a little scraping on it from it hitting the sand. Will this kill a moose at this range or should I use the 150 gr charge? I noticed a big differece in recoil from the 150 gr but that didnt bother me. I didnt have any tools to adjust my sights so i just left it at that. I plan to hunt moose this fall with my Knight up in Canada. I havent bought any Powerbelt bullets yet but i look forward to trying them out. What you guys recommend for bullet size for moose? I have 2 boxes of the platinum tips because i got a awesome deal on them at a walmart out in Idaho. I think i paid like 5.50 for a box of 30 bullets and they normally go for about 13-14 bucks anywhere else. Any input or your 2 cents would be much 'preciated! Thanks
Brian

i guess i would try to shoot 125 gr of powder. but thats me. its not as light, but not as heavy.
good luck in the hunt

------------------
hope this helps, let me know how you did
Pooh