• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a new deck

sticknstring

I mentioned the cedar for the underneath framing because it was a raised deck and would look better than the green treat if it was not stained or painted. Dtro nice deck and patio. Im going to be doing that under my deck when I have free time. Unfotunately my free time is in the winter so it probalby wont happen for a while. Definately can save the money when you can do it yourself. I built my house and decks myself and saved big time.

Nice looking decks guys. I've built and designed plenty of decks. The one pictured with the arches is out of scale IMO. The boxed posts and arches draws too much attention. It looks like it should be holding up a house. If it had been down sized I think the look would have been much better. Boxmn, is much more balanced and I like the simple lines without attracting my attention to the support structure. I also like the partial roof and fan there. That fan just might be enough to keep the skeeters away on a warm summer evening and you may be able to keep it unfettered with screens.

I really like the soffit/water shield under the deck. That IMO is a finishing touch that is worth the cost.

Choose of materials is up to the owner. If your using a composite you'll more then likely need 12" centers on your joists. I haven't a problem with using green treated and once weathered, cleaned and stained its loses much of that green and takes on the color of the stain. I prefer a transparent stain but as long as it what ever you use is a penetrating stain thats fine. What you want to avoid is anything that sits on the surface and will peel. Maintenance of GT and ceder isn't all that bad. Apply a deck cleaner and scrub brush it and rinse. Couple hours tops there. Stain or sealing, the time consuming part is getting that to the wood. Use a sprayer to apply then brush or roll it in. Again a large deck takes me a couple hours.

Yes green treated can and twist and warp. You can eliminate a lot of that by hand selecting your wood. Could get into great detail there but just watch the knots and grain. GT will have some moister, some isn't bad but if your picking from a lot thats been stored outside and allowed to become saturated at least don't pick from a stack thats been opened. That twisting and warping happens when wet wood dries without being fastened or bound. Still you can get an oddball that will warp. Just remove it and replace.

With greentreated I plan way ahead buy wood, stack it with spacers so it will air dry.I also use straps, the turn buckel for tightening,4 on 16ft lumber dries straight and even,no twists or warps,Screw some down and if I leave the pile I'll restrap it.Once its properly fastened down with grain cup ^ it stays just fine.