• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Competent Gunsmith in La Crosse Area

I'm looking for references of a gunsmith in Winona, Lacrosse, or Rochester area that has worked on vintage classic American SxS shotguns. I need to get some work done, and I want to feel comfortable where I take it. This would be stock removal to repair "safety" and general cleaning of internals, possibly making parts or access to replacement parts.

Agree with Keystone Light.

Just picked up an O/U that they did some work on. It has double triggers and had a pistol grip on it. It was bruising my middle finger something terrible because of the pistol grip being to small for my hand and the trigger guard would give my finger a brutal beating every time I shot it. Gave up shooting it for years. Took it in and they straight stocked it and re did the wood. The price for the quality of work was far better than I expected. Have had them do other odds and ends for me. Is over a 2 hour drive but well worth it IMO.

Thanks for the info guys,I too have heard good things about Ahlmans. I just thought that there might be someone closer to LAX that I was't aware of. I guess a roadtrip to a gun shop I've never been to is in order. Their HSOforum sure makes it look interesting.

My first choice near you would be:

Dennis Potter

Muskego, WI

If I remember right he was an instructor at gunsmithing schools or something like that. It kind of also depends on the gun and the type of work you want done.

Send me an email and I can give you his phone and email info. My email is mamohr686 @ Hotmail . com without the spaces.

I had a L.C. Smith restored at Ahlmans and I was not impressed with half the work. Rust blue job was poor, and missing in areas. I paid to have chokes opened that were not done. Checkering was not close to even on both sides. They did an great job on refinishing the stock, and mouting a recoil pad. At least I got it dirt cheap and it's really a fun shooter.