• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

angler and spearer using same hole--not legal?

Jameson

Is it legal for one person who only has a fishing license, no spear license, to fish out of a spearers hole while that second person is spearing?

A CO in my area was asked this question, and said it was indeed ILLEGAL. Anyone have any first hand experience with a CO checking them while doing this?

Personally I think that as long as not more than one limit of pike are speared, it all should be good.

IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE SPEAR OR ONE ANGLING LINE IN THE HOUSE AT THE SAME TIME?

Each person may use one angling line while spearing. If two people are in a house and only one of them is spearing, the person spearing may use one angling line, and the person not spearing may use two angling lines. It is also permissible to have additional spears and angling equipment in possession in the house provided such equipment is not in use.

It was said that the second person angling could not use the same hole (the spearhole) to angle. So yes, they could both be in the same house, but the angler would have to have their own hole(s).

It was said that the second person angling could not use the same hole (the spearhole) to angle. So yes, they could both be in the same house, but the angler would have to have their own hole(s).

That is really spliting hairs.

It does not specificaly state that 2 people can fish and spear from the same hole. It does not specifically state that 2 people can't fish and spear from the same hole.

I am not sure how a judge would rule on that one.

You make the call.

Originally Posted By: mndnrwebsite

IS IT PERMISSIBLE TO HAVE MORE THAN ONE SPEAR OR ONE ANGLING LINE IN THE HOUSE AT THE SAME TIME?

Each person may use one angling line while spearing. If two people are in a house and only one of them is spearing, the person spearing may use one angling line, and the person not spearing may use two angling lines. It is also permissible to have additional spears and angling equipment in possession in the house provided such equipment is not in use.

Where did you get this information from? As far as I know the law only states that laws of 2 lines per angler, not per hole. Your spear counts as a line.

Little background on why I asked about this here. A friend and I both got into spearing now two seasons ago. We worried about bringing newbies out to give them a glimpse of the spearing world if they weren't licensed as a spearer. My assumption was it was O.K. just to have an angler angle out of a spearers hole, as long as at the end of the day only one limit of pike was speared. My friend disagreed, saying with no "party" spearing it would be considered helping the spearer by having extra baits in the water. He fired off an e-mail to the DNR, and received a response stating they weren't sure. Next time he ran into a CO, he asked as the CO. The CO's response was that an angler could NOT angle out of the spear hole at the same time as the person spearing it.

Anyone have any first hand experience with a CO over this?

so if its not right to angle our of the spear hole, then why did they make it legal for a spear to be able to use two lines in the same hole?

I have talked to a CO about it, and they say as long as there is not a HOOK on the spearing string, you can have another line down the spear hole!

...then why did they make it legal for a spear to be able to use two lines in the same hole?...

Are we really limited to two lines? uh-oh. I've never read that. Where does it say that? Doesn't the regs state that a person spearing is allowed one angling line? I can have 5, 6 decoys down( all with no hooks )the hole can't I?

The one time I was checked by a CO this winter I had three wooden decoys down and one sucker on a hook. Maybe he was just having a good day.

i think u got it BNS as long as your friend is licenced i dont see a reason y they cant fish in your spear hole.

you can angle and spear out of the same hole at the same time if there is one person in the house. providing you have a spear and only one line in the house your legal, at least that is my take on the reg book.

so i dont see a reason why a second party cant fish in the same hole you are spearing out of. the caption out of the reg book doesnt accually say that the second person needs to have their own hole(s) right?

from the 2008 reg book: pg 55

"A person may take fish by angling in a dark house if only one angling line is in use and any fish caught is immediately released or placed on the ice."

One angling line can be used by someone spearing. No party spearing allowed. So if someone is spearing over two angling lines is that not considered party-spearing?

No that is not party spearing

An example of party spearing would be if you filled your limit of pike then started filling another licenced spearers limit of pike.

Much like party hunting for deer. With deer hunting you are allowed to fill multiple licences for other licenced hunters in your party.

With spearing you can only spear your own limit of fish.

This is the most confusing thread to read. We have had many CO to our MN Darkhouse Assoc. meetings to confirm this. The law was changed this past year to allow spearing and angling from the same hole. The spear counts as 1 or your 2 lines. When I say lines I mean ones with hooks (not sure if you were being sarcastic about the decoy lines?). Party spearing refers to spearing all or part of another person's limit. As far as I know you can have as many people as you want spear and angle out of a single hole as long as everyone has the proper licenses. If your CO told you different I would have him call his supervisor and get it straightened out.