• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota noodlers

tom_w

I've poked my hands in some holes up my way,just feelin its ilegal to actually take em with hands.If it wasnt I'd invite ya up.kinda spookie but with some prodin ya could catch some crawdads that way and who knows what else ya'd feel! just dont take em! or beavers, muskrats,mink no poisonous snakes to worry bout.

I watched it too last night. Here's a couple of things I found hilarious from the noodling contest they were organizing.

Straight from the director:

"blues and channels don't count, only flatheads will count, blues and channels are considered gamefish" grin

"I just know some guys will have an illegal fish.....I just know it. Either that or they will be using illegal scuba gear"

Then at the end of the contest there was bickering about the scale they used for the big fish, and how the overall winner conveniently weighed in last and just happened to have a couple of pounds more than the previous leader.

I like how all the older guys said they were finally wise enough to realize how dumb they all were for sticking their hands in snagpiles.

Ya, can you imagine sticking your hand in hole to find a gar in there? shockedcry Ouch!

Im not sure of the impact on the fishery but from what im seeing it would be a very limited number of people doing it. I guess if they wanted to try it as a experiment for a year maybe that would be ok. The fisheries guys have to decide this one.

My question is what is the uniform for northern noodling.

The picture I get from the southerners is you must be wearing suspenders with no shirt and have a front tooth missing and have one heck of a southern draw accent.

Will we have to wear a one of those red union suites with a racoon hat on saying aA you know aA I got one aA.

My question is what is the uniform for northern noodling.

The picture I get from the southerners is you must be wearing suspenders with no shirt and have a front tooth missing and have one heck of a southern draw accent.

Will we have to wear a one of those red union suites with a racoon hat on saying aA you know aA I got one aA.

YA Sure, dont cha know

Some areas that I know of on the Minnesota would actually be perfect for noodling, but seriously it takes a special type of person to do that. Guess it wouldn't be too crazy, but I won't be getting in that river for anything, unless my friend or girlfriend falls in.

I was at the park where the Blue Earth flows into the Minnesota and has a pretty strong current there that is not visible to the average person. I was fishing during the day and these two high school aged girls were walking across the Blue Earth River (only 4 feet deep or so). The girls were laughing thinking it was sooo funny, even though I knew what was about to happen. They started getting pushed into the Minnesota River and it got so deep they couldn't touch anymore once they reached the swift main current. They began panicking and screaming and were stuck in the current and could just barely muster the strength to finally get to shore about 100 yards down river. Very scary, especially since a kid died not too long ago at the same spot.

Ya I don't see my self doing it ether. Who knows what you could get caught up in. I would guess that it is illegal in MN for safety reasons, and not because it would have an affect on fish populations. Different states seem to have different levels of safety it seems like and Minnesota seems to be one that goes over board sometimes. If some one gets hurt or killed doing something there is someone right behind them trying to pass a law to stop people from doing it in the future.