• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Another water heater question

GotOne

My gas water heater is ready to be replaced. Currently have gas, about 10yrs, old 50gal. What is more economical gas or electric? Dakota Electric has some rebates and incentives for a couple of different units. Centerpoint Energy has rebates up to 75.00 for the more efficient units. Price at box store is 473.00 for 50gal, 9yr gas and 338.00 for a 9yr, 50gal electric. Do I need to do anything different to convert to electric? Anybody know anything about the "storage type" water heater from Dakota Electric? Heats water at night when electricity is cheaper and stores it for day use.

i just went from gas to electric and miss my gas. i wounldnt have done it different.

i got 325 back in rebates back cause i went from gas to electric and i installed this "offpeak" box from the city electric company. 50 for gas to electirc and 275 for a 9 (or better mines better) year tank warrenty.

dont get me wrong i miss the recovery of the gas but the price of the electic after the rebates was worth the loss. the only thing i had to do is have a 30 amp breaker added.

have you looked into tankless?? is your old one a powervent? the powervents werent cheap. i really wanted a tankless powervent but decided spending 300$ (for the waterheater and wiring)was easier on the pocket book that the 1000-1200$ for what i wanted.