• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help!!!! Hand auger...........

cjoeker2

... It is a StrikeMaster® Mora® 2 - Pc. Hand Auger... It says it is a 2 piece, so is it tough enough??? It also says this "The powder-coated paint reduces ice buildup as your crank the Auger, and an ergonomically correct handle system with soft rubber grips is easy on your hands. Handle adjusts from 48"-57"." Is it any good????

Fleet Farm had 5"-6" Mora for 25.00-30.00 last week and 5"-6" Lazers for 65.00-75.00. The larger diameters were more by 10-20 bucks or so.

That's the best "NEW" price I've seen.

I have a 6" Mora and a 5" Lazer. Hand cranking through 2 feet of ice is no problem with either. The Lazer is easier.

I also just bought a Nils 4.5 hand auger. It beats both of those others with regards to effort involved.

Ok, another one.... How about a brand new 24" Hi-Tech Polar Fire Neonz Combo, Light rod and reel for $9.... Electric orange and yellow on a glossy black blank for a hot look:

* Perfectly tapered fiberglass blanks

* Durable EVA handles

* Aluminum oxide guides

* 1 ball-bearing reel. Just need something cheap to use every once in a great while.....

well, I guess my opinion is a unpopular one, but I would argue that Moras are far superior to Lazers for several reasons. I own a 7" mora and a 7" lazer. for one, moras are easier on the arms, especially at the bottom of the hole where lazers are very sticky. Lazers do take a deeper cut per turn but at the cost of your energy and because its more difficult to turn, you end up drilling at a slower rate...and getting more tired. Also you for the cost of getting new blades for a lazer, you can buy a mora, blades and all. Another thing is that you can sharpen mora blades yourself with like-new results, with a lazer, its possible to improve the edge, but impossible to get them like new again. after many seasons of using both I'd say that if one is faster than the other, I can't tell a difference, but the mora is certainly smoother and easier on the arms...and you should be able to pick one up for $35. Also they are all 2 pieces now and very sturdy. I think the people who are sour on Moras probably haven't used a newish one which are a slightly different design. My take on Lazers is that strike master simply saw benefit in having a second option since the Mora had been available for so long and so they developed the so called lazer...which as the name suggests, should cut lazer fast...and so they convinced a lot of people to buy this new auger (including me). Now mine sits in the rafters...anybody want it? If it takes me an extra 10 seconds to drill a hole with a mora, its worth it. Sorry for the long response.

Hey LindyRigga, that is an interesting observation.

The Lazer I have does tend to bind a little at the bottom and does dig a deeper angle than the Mora resulting in a faster plunge to the bottom of the ice, but it doesn't seem to turn noticeably easier.

Before I bought my Nils last week I pretty much always dragged my Mora with me over the Lazer. I always thought it was because the Mora was a 6" and the Lazer a 5" and I wanted a bigger hole, but maybe it was because subconciously I felt the Mora was a little overall better performing.